Homemade Citrus Cleaners

If you like using citrus based cleaners, but don't like the price, try making your own. This is a guide about homemade citrus cleaners.

By happy accident the other day, whilst saving money making my own candied citrus peel for the upcoming festive baking frenzy, I 'discovered' a fantastic new cleaning product. It is fragrant, non-abrasive, chemical free and, best of all, FREE! It cleans and degreases most surfaces very effectively, but of course test any surface you are unsure about in an unseen spot just in case!

You can easily make your own and spend less time scrubbing and more time doing the things you enjoy. All you need is the peel from 4 large oranges cut into 0.5 cm (half-inch) strips. Put into a non-reactive pan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the peel, cool the liquid, strain, and bottle.

I also added a tablespoon of white vinegar as a preservative. Stored in a cool place it should keep for a couple of months so label it clearly as a cleaning product. Although it isn't poisonous, it could leave a most unpleasant taste in the mouth!

Save your orange peels and put them in your washer to do laundry. This does something good for mother earth and your clothes will come out smelling fresh and clean. Good for people who are allergic to soaps.

Source: An old friend who got this tip from her doctor years ago.

By Beatrice

I am looking for a homemade orange citrus cleaner recipe that really smells like oranges and cleans as well as a store bought. Thanks!

Susan from Henderson, NY

Answers

By Raven (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have always made my own citrus cleaners and find they are very effective, simple to make, and very economical. I use a plant spray bottle, to make it in, and use from, again, VERY cheap to buy.

• 1 part white vinegar
  • 1 part lemon juice
  • 4 parts water
  • 10 drops of preferred essential oil
I have used lemon grass, grapefruit and orange (lemon grass is MY favorite!). Add all to bottle, shake, and you are ready to go. This leaves mirrors, windows and tiles streak free. It cleans cooking spills, work surfaces, etc, and leaves a lingering citrus smell.

I read you can make orange cleaner at home (orange oil). I did it using water and orange peels. There other ways to make it as well. Does anyone know ways to use it for cleaning? Also, how should I dilute this?

Shirley from Calumet City

Answers

Best Answer

I make it by soaking the peels in vinegar, then dilute with equal part of water. I put it in a spray bottle and use it to deodorize rooms, to clean up cat "accidents", to wipe tables and other surfaces or even the floor.

It cleans the tub nicely as well.