WildlifePhotos

Wildlife: Mated Woodpeckers

I had to have an old dead tree removed from my backyard, and although I knew it had to come down, it was very sad for me. The tree that was taken out was the favorite 'snack bar' for a pair of mated woodpeckers. I had watched them come to peck and poke at that tree almost every day for years. I didn't realize how much I loved watching them until the tree was gone.

I tried to get good pictures of them, but they would see me through the sliding glass door and fly away. I hope they found another tree just as delicious as mine had seemed. The female can be seen on the upper left side of the tree in the picture.

By Kathy