Saving Children's Schoolwork

Category Paperwork
Many parents like to save some of their children's schoolwork as mementos. This is a guide about saving children's schoolwork.

Years ago when my kids started school every year I took a picture of each of them the first day of school. I taped the picture to a large manila folder. I wrote on the outside the teachers name, school, and who were the friends at that time. I also made a note of the answer when asked "What do I want to be when I grow up?".

All year long I collected mementos from the school year - even kept the autographed picture of McGyver, and a sketch my son did wanting to skip school and go fishing that he got in trouble for doing in class.

I kept each of these manila folders in a box together. I plowed through them last year and created a school scrap book for each. What an amazing time travel I had and both of them got teary eyed when I gave them their books for Christmas.

By Meemaw

As our children grow, we save a lot of the "odd" things they make at school, church, etc. In scrapbooking, it is impossible to include most of those items. You don't want to toss it, "Timmy made it" for me. So do the next best thing and then you can scrapbook it and "scrap it" too!

Take a clear photo of the item, place it in your scrapbook and journal the details, then toss the item. If you think your child might want to see it one last time, ask if they do first. Otherwise, you have the memory but not the box of stuff you have nothing else you can use it for.

By Robin from Dover, FL

I have 3 kids in school. It gets to be too much trying to save school work for them. What we do is this: Every August we decorate our own "school boxes". Each kid gets a box; the kind adult man's boots come in, each one decorates it how they want it.

During the school year, they put their papers in there. We try to keep only test papers, reports, etc. If the box starts to get too full, we take pictures of them and toss/recycle them.

This year we are going to put all the papers on poster board(s) and take a picture, and put it in their "year books". It eliminates so much paper clutter. Their yearbooks are photo albums of school only stuff, pictures of projects, report cards, etc. It makes them feel proud to have their stuff in with other photo albums.

By sherry from Onset,Ma

I keep a three ring binder with my kids' school papers that I will need for future reference. For example: medication permit forms, schedule of events, concert announcements, classroom parties, etc. I always know where to look for the information I need.

By June S.

I recycle my children's school papers. I don't have room for them all. However, if I find a recipe or project idea on the Internet that I want to print out, I use those school papers.

I get to keep them and not have them take up unnecessary space.

I am in need of some ideas for what to do with my daughter's school papers that she brings home.

Bonita from Lula, GA

Answers:

Answers: Saving School Papers

Tips for saving and storing school papers. Post your ideas.

Saving School Papers

I use the backpacks from my children at the end of the year to store all of the papers and projects for that school year. better then storing in a box because you can see what they made that year and and what backpack they had. It's fun too see the Ninja Turtle backpack from 10 years ago.

By Jackie (03/03/2005)

Saving School Papers

You can post them all on the frig until you can a bunch then take a picture of them all together. Save the best and put the others in another box that can be discarded when people (the little ones) have forgotten. You and they still have the best originals and photos of all of them. (08/18/2008)

By Judi

Saving School Papers

Some folks make scrapbooks of their children's school work and combine the school work with pictures of that year. Something for parents and children to reflect about in later years. (08/18/2008)

By Harry

Saving School Papers

What about buying the print iron on paper and scan them then use that iron on paper and put randomly on a white t-shirt. That would be neat. (08/18/2008)

By Julie

Saving School Papers

I am currently engaged on an all-out war against clutter, however, I am very sentimental about my boys' artworks and school papers. I make my decisions based upon sentimental value. In other words I don't keep every spelling list, math hw, or vocab workbook, however, I sort carefully and anything particularly meaningful, such as papers which are imaginative or involve family members, art which THEY really want to preserve...you get the picture. For the art I love those huge Ziplocs (bought with a coupon and on sale of course) and they can be hung up, yay. For each year I have a file cabinet folder and I file their normal letter-sized works there. Another really good idea if it's keepable but not crucial is to scan it to a pdf and then pitch that paper! (08/18/2008)

By Carrie Wilson

Saving School Papers

I had four children and I kept one special drawer and saved all the report cards, progress reports, rewards and any special picture that I liked or a story they wrote. In the summer, when I had more time, I purchased three ring binders for each child. I also bought dividers and labeled them for each grade. I would then hole punch the items and put them in order. I also included special pics: first day, school pics, etc. I found that gallon sized zip lock bags could hold some of the elem. art work. I had three binders for each child by the time they graduated (one elementary, middle, and high school) At their grad party, I had the three binders out on display. It was a total surprise for the first child because I did this all in secret. (08/19/2008)

By Heather Krucker

Saving School Papers

I do save many things in a binder using those protector sleeves. For things to large to fit in the binder, we take a picture of the artwork, diorama, sculpture, etc. and put the photos in a special album for each child. It really was a lifesaver with my son who never wanted to give up any of his creations. (08/19/2008)

By Chris Richman

Saving School Papers

One idea would be to scan them into your computer -- then you can size them for a small type scrapbook, or just save them digitally for any project at any time you choose -- sooner or later! (08/19/2008)

By Linda

Saving School Papers

This is for all ages, even college. Get file folders and label each subject. Put the papers in the folders. At the end of each term (9 weeks, semester etc.) check to see that the grades reflect the papers. If so then you can get rid of the papers. Note: for college you might want to keep some stuff from your major. Sometimes even teachers make mistakes or don't record a grade. This way you have your copies.

For the stuff you want to keep, artwork etc. Pick items each term put into a large envelope, at the end of the year sort out the real keepers. Take the real favorite and put it in a frame and HANG IT UP!! You will have an amazing gallery. I have a wall in the kitchen that displays my childrens works. They are in medical school and college and it is fun to reflect on their years. (08/20/2008)

By Lee Anne Guryn

Saving School Papers

This is an idea from Flylady to reduce the paper clutter: Each week have your child select no more than 3 papers that week for you to keep. You will put them in a folder and at the end of the year there are not so many to go through. With the remaining papers each week, give them to relatives to post around their house, OR give them ideas like using them as placemats. Do give the relatives permission to discard when they are finished useing them. I make different stacks for relatives to see my son's beautiful work, and it is appreciated by all! (08/25/2008)

By Mellissa

Saving School Papers

I had the same problem, papers everywhere! I bought an accordion file box for each of my children, made labels starting with "preschool" to "college senior", as well as a label for "church". When my boys get home from school after I look at their papers they file them. This is an easy way to keep all of their school papers (K- High School or college) together and the file box doesn't take up a lot of from. (11/12/2008)

By Cristy Cox