TreesGardening

Oak Tree Breaking Driveway

Category Trees

I have an oak tree that is about 20ft from my front entrance. My driveway is blacktopped and I can see the black top eroding because of the huge roots of the tree. My husband doesn't want to cut it because it shades the house in the summer (very hot summers here). Help me with this decision. Thank you.

By Cindy from Adamsville, TN

It seems a shame to cut down such a nice tree. I had a similar problem with a large gum breaking up my driveway. My solution was to take up just the section of the driveway being damaged by the roots & replace it with matching coloured pavers across the whole width that could be laid with a gentle rise over the roots. I also used the same pavers in a couple of other areas around the garden so it looked "planned" It might work for you too.