AntsPest Control

Environmentally Safe Way to Remove Anthills From Lawn

Does anyone have advice on getting rid of anthills in the grass, using a environmentally friendly solution for the grass not the ants.

I need them to move somewhere else or not exist anymore. :)

Sheila from Ont. Canada

I have had some success with pouring boiling water on the mounds (which will likely kill the grass, but is very safe otherwise. I have also used soapy water. Neither is foolproof, and may require repeat treatment; but both are safe (well, as long as you don't spill the water on yourself, I suppose)!

By Patti (Guest Post)

We used dry, yellow corn meal. Cover the mound with it. The ants will take it to the queen and she will eat it and die. Any ants who eat it will die, too.

By HalfWhit (Guest Post)

I haveused REAL grits -- not the quick or instant kind. Very hard to find though.

Just sprinkle them (dry) on and around the mounds and they either move or burst - not sure which!

By Pris (Guest Post)

My grandfather always used yellow corn meal for ants and then used flour in the garden to keep cut worms, slugs off the tomatoes. Plant marigolds around the garden to keep other crawly things out, too.

By Becke (Guest Post)

Sprinkle on some of the cheapest ground cinnamon you can find. (Like what you use in the recipe for cinnamon toast.) This is especially good for ants on okra, squash, and other "rough" leafed plants. Ants disappear from lawn, garden, around stepping stones, etc. Works well in East Texas, where we have lots of fire ants.