PoultryRecipes

Stove Top Chicken

Category Poultry

Do any of you have a recipe where you cook dark (chicken) meat, rice, celery and canned tomatoes in a pot on the stove top? My family member who used to cook it is gone but I remember that the chicken would just pull right off the bone. Thank you all.

MrsJean

By Jan Wade (Guest Post)

I've been cooking "NO PEEK" chicken on the stovetop for years! All you do is take a chicken or pieces of chicken , put it in a large pot that has a GOOD fitting lid, fill the pan with water til the chicken is covered and bring to a full boil. Continue to boil according to how many lbs. of chicken is in the pot (5 pounds 5 minutes, 7 lbs. 7 minutes and so on) you can lower the stove though, after time is up cover pan, turn off stove & let sit for 1 hour making sure NO ONE lifts the lid. After the hour the Chicken will be completely cooked, perfect to put in pie or use for sandwitches. I add an onion, some celery and put the bones back in the water and make a nice broth for soup!

By Daniel Miller (Guest Post)

This is very easy. One take and brown your chicken thighs and I prefer to use skinless and brown in olive oil. Remove chicken and brown onions, and then add tomatoes of your choice. Add your celery and chicken to pot and bring to a simmer.

Add the spices of your choice. I suggest thyme, oregano, parsley, a touch of red wine or balsomic vinegar. You want to cover this and reduce heat and stir about every 7-10 minutes as to prevent burning. Do not boil the meat will be stringy.