Protect Your Remote Control

I've noticed people mentioning grease from hands entering their remote control. No cleaning of remote controls, if you wrap remote in Saran Wrap. The wrapped remote works perfectly well. Replace the wrap when changing batteries.

By George from Portarlington, Victoria, Australia

Top Comment

It is not finger grease. The silicone keypad is made with a silicone oil that is impregnated into the silicone itself. It keeps the silicone supple and flexible. Repeated physical pressure (pressing the buttons) will physically squeeze the lubricant out of the silicone like water out of a sponge. Eventually, after repeated cleanings all of the lubricant will be squeezed out. This can take years.

This is not to say that other oils and greases can't get in there. But there is really no way for accumulated finger grease to go straight through the silicone or around the edges of the silicone pad.

Good idea - and I'd bet you could use different colors for remotes that belong to different TVs, too!

I wonder if Glad Press-n-Seal would work as well?

You are so right about saran wrap-it works wonders keeping tv controls looking like new. Saran wrap keeps white refrigerator door handles looking like new too!

Great idea about plastic wrap for fridge handles. I just moved into an apartment with an older fridge - which looked great - but the once-white handles were completely yellowed & yucky. Luckily I was able to locate replacement WHITE handles [inexpensively too] but I might try this plastic wrap idea for keeping them clean & white.