How Do You Tell if Something Is Gold?

How to tell if something is gold, when it's not jewelry?

Louise from Jacksonville

I wish I could help, but if I were you I'd take my stuff to a jeweler and ask them, even if it's not jewelry.

Maybe there's a kit you can buy like from a jewelry supply store, like a whole saler. Maybe there's some kind of litmus testing kit you can buy.

Ok, I just got a brainstorm (dangerous, I know). Contact Jewelrytelevision.com. They are very knowledgable and are eager to share it with everyone, even novices.

They even sell books. Did you try the library?

Have you gotten on line and asked the Internet?

Good luck!
Smoochie

Gold items often say on them if they are 10K or 14 K or whatever type of gold. Gold items do not rust or tarnish; they never need polishing; they are not attracted to magnets; they are relatively heavy for their size, in comparison to copper, for example. Gold items have a distinctive gold color, as opposed to things that are painted gold.

Compare it to something that is real gold, like someone's wedding band. Anything of value made of gold is likely gold all the way through, and so if you scratched it, it would be the same color. There would not be a different metal underneath.

It would be helpful to know what type of item you are talking about.