CampingRecreation

Homemade Waterproofing Spray for a Tent

I was wondering if anyone has/knows of a homemade recipe for a spray to waterproof our tent? I hope I explained that right. We bought a new tent and want to spray it with something to insure waterproofing it in case of rain. Thank You in advance!

jmz2005 from Illinois

Tents are waterproofed when they are made - just make sure you don't touch the material while it's raining. Touching it will break the waterproof seal and allow water to flow through. My family and I camped in a tent for several years and loved it. God bless you!

Good helpfull advice, but tents are not made waterproofed, they are only water resistent to a pre-known limit, if andn when that limit is passed (like when rain continues for a few days), water will begin to seep through, touching it or not.

I have always been told by camp supply personel to season the tent.......another words set the tent up for a few days when it will be rainy or run a light sprinkler on the tent. This should waterproof it fairly well. I am afraid if this is not done you might get a wet night if it rains. I have first hand experience of the wet nights sleep from not knowing this needed to be done. As the previous post stated you do need to be careful not to touch the walls or roof of the tent when it is wet, it will cause it to leak. Sorry,I do not know of a homemade waterproofer.

Just buy some water repellent. I'm sure you can get a good amount for 10 dollars or so.