Dog Food RecipesDogs

Pet Food Canning Recipes

Next spring, our family will be raising a whopping 400 Cornish cross broiler chickens (I know, that's a lot!). Most will be canned, frozen, or shared with family. However, since I'll be busy canning anyways, I would really like to be able to prepare healthy, balanced dog and cat food out of the chicken (with fruits, veggies, etc.) that I can pressure can and store. Any tips?

Stacey from Dorr, MI

By dar (Guest Post)

I love the magazine "Mother Earth News", and this is a link to an article on making cat food which can be applied to dog food also I would imagine. Hope it helps.www.motherearthnews.com/.../Give-Your-Cat-Good-Home-Cookin.aspx

By Loretta B. (Guest Post)

Hi, Look up receipes for dogs with allergies. They have some nice ones using chicken and vetegables. You might contact the companies that make the canning jars and see if they have any recipes. Loretta

Stacey, do you have a Vita-Mix blender? If so, you can put in all the cooked chicken bones, skin, heart, gizzard, etc, with some broth and puree it until nothing remains but a thick sludge. Cook rice, barley or whatever grain on the stove. Add diced white or sweet potatoes, carrots, greens, celery, peas, or whatever you have to the rice--it'll steam while the rice cooks. When done, mix the grain, veggies, and bone-meal liquid. The bones get ground so fine, there is no way your pet can choke or get hurt.

It's a great way to use up everything. I'm sure you can pour it into jars and pressure can them. I wouldn't feed only this to my dog since I don't think it's a good idea to change their diet too radically (might cause bloat), but a big scoop over dry food is a treat. I keep a bag in my freezer and add chicken or turkey bones as we use them, then make a big pot of this food. I just keep it in the fridge until it's used up. The lady from the Vita-Mix company told me how to make this.