CuttingsGardening

Rooting An Azealea - Tips and Advice

Hello,

Last week a friend died, he had no relatives but we were his friend and neighbor for over 30 years, soon they will auction off his house. In front of his house was a beautiful dark pink azealea from which I took some clippings to reroot and grow at my home in another state. It's not as sunny here but I have been trying hard to keep it alive, so far its ok, but losing flower.

Any suggestions? It's in the sunnyest spot in my yard. I could buy one just like it but it wouldn't be the same. Any suggestions on food that would be helpful?

Thank you,
Gail

First of all, it is beautiful that you thought of taking a cutting of your friend's azealea--what a way to remember your friend!

I'm not sure if when you said you took cuttings from his azaelea and planted it directly into the ground or not--so, I hope I won't sound redundant with my advice.

If the azaelea has any offshoots that have begun to emerge from the ground beside the shrub, I would first try to separate the offshoot by simply slicing the new growth from the "mother" shrub. Therefore, you would already have the root system established when replanting. If that isn't possible, take a cut from a new growth, strip the leaves from all but the top inch of fresh growth; then, either dip the fresh cut in a hormone rooting mix and place in a pot of moist vermiculite or potting soil, set it in a sunny window until you see that the roots have "taken." You can also follow the same proceedure and just put the cutting in a bottom-heavy shallow vase of fresh water until the roots begin to form--then set it out into the real world.