AdviceGardening

Corn Not Producing Normal Cobs

The sweetcorn I have grown hasn't developed cobs, but something that resembles something more like wheat? The plants are very strong and big, but the fruit is not what I expected. Can you please tell me where I have gone wrong!

By Julia C

Does each kernel have a husk over it? If so, you have pod corn, not sweet corn. Pod corn is an primate form of corn. It is nothing you have done; it was the seed itself. The kernels look very much alike. It is a curiousity planted for decoration when dried.

What you are seeing is the tassels that pollinate the corn to produce ears or cobs. The corn will form at the junction of the leaves and stalk. Not much longer and you will have ears!