Celebrating Pi Day (March 14)

Pi day only comes 'round once a year, so bake a delicious pie to celebrate this wonderfully abstract number. This is a guide about celebrating Pi day (March 14).

Math and science buffs around the world celebrate March 14th as Pi Day. This most important mathematical constant is generally abbreviated to 3.14159, or even just 3.14, so, of course, it is celebrated on 3/14. This date is also Einstein's birthday.

Because of the sound of the word, many people mark the occasion by eating pie. Purists would celebrate exactly at 1:49 in the afternoon (or morning if you really love math). This time works really well for math teachers who look forward to ways to make math fun.

If you need inspiration for what to serve, here is a link to ThriftyFun's pie recipes:

And here is a link for more information about the number Pi.

If you celebrate this fun math holiday, please share your experiences with us by leaving feedback.

"You say what?" That is what I said when my grandson called me and asked me if I would help him with a school project. Of course I would! I said "I need to make a pie for Pi Day for a Math project?" Huh? Yes, each child was told to bake a pie for Pi Day! This was a new one for me! :) Okay, This is how he explained this to me.

Pi Day (3/14) is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant Pi (3.14159...). Since the fraction Pi is a common approximation of Pi, which is accurate to 2 decimal places and dates from Archimedes. Larry Shaw is the organizer of the first Pi Day celebration at the Exploratorium in San Francisco. This is why we celebrate Pi day each March 14th. So, we had to make a pie!

• 1 3 lb. bag apples, peeled, cored, sliced thin
  • 1 bottom pie crust
  • 1 roll pie crust, for top crust
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • dash of salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Peel all apples, cut into quarters, core, then slice in thin slices.
  3. Put all slices in a bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, flour, dash of salt
  4. Ad

5. Mix well with a large spoon, mixing the apples so they get well coated.
  6. Add the cubes of butter and fold into the apples
  7. Ad

8. Take your bottom crust, fill it well over the brim with apples, Build a mountain of apples in the middle.
  9. Using your clean hands, press the apples down to fill in any empty areas. Round off this mountain of apples.
  10. Using the roll out type of top crust, flour the surface, peel the crust out. Using a rolling pin, flour the rolling pin. Roll out just a little bigger.
  11. Carefully lie the pie crust over the apples evenly.
  12. Ad

13. Pinch the top crust with the bottom crust.
  14. Make 4 double slits in the center of the pie.
  15. Beat one egg. Using clean hands, scoop up some egg and rub it over the top and sides of the pie. This makes the pie shiny and golden brown.
  16. Cut aluminum foil in long thin strips. Put the foil around the edges of the crust until the last 10 minutes of baking. Remove and continue baking.
  17. Bake for 35 minutes or until it is golden brown and bubbly. Cook the pie on a baking sheet!