Celebrating Mother's Day

In many countries Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May. It is a day set aside to honor mothers and motherhood. This is a guide about celebrating Mother's Day.

As a child on Mother's Day morning, my mother would pick red roses from her rose bush, tie a pretty ribbon on it and pin one on my dress and the dress of my sister as a corsage. She told us that wearing a red rose signified that your Mother was living and it is an honor to wear it.

She told us that when one's Mother died, that you would wear a white rose in honor and memory of your dear Mother because she was pure in her mind, body and spirit in Heaven. This Mother's day I will wear a white rose for the 50th Mother's Day and I will wear it proudly.

Send a thank you note to your mother-in-law on your husband's birthday. It meant a lot to my mother-in-law to know I appreciated all she did to give me the man I married. Also it goes a long way to building a good relationship with a mother-in-law. Men, you can do the same thing with your father-in-law (or mother-in-law) for their daughters!

By Ann Winberg from Loup City,NE

The best Mother's Day Card I ever received came from my son. He wrote to me when he was 14 years old and thanked me for everything he could think of that I'd taught him over the years. That was a little more than 20 years ago.

This year, I'm writing to him to thank him for all the many things he's taught me. He's been a wonderful son in every way, and has never once disappointed me in anything he's done. I want him to know how much I appreciate him for making my adventures in motherhood such a great experience.

If my own Mother were alive, I would be writing her to thank her as well. I think she knows already though.

All the best,
Julia from Orlando, FL

My most memorable Mother's Day was in 1994. Our family had left for Japan as missionaries in early March of that year, and in April we received a phone call that my mom was in the hospital. She had just been diagnosed with advanced cancer, and it wasn't known whether she would live even a few weeks. I returned to North Carolina; my sister (who was in South Africa with her family as missionaries) returned to North Carolina; my brother drove in, and my oldest sister lived there. We spent a couple of weeks there with my mom. Thankfully, radiation treatment gave her several good months before her Homegoing the following February.

Anyway, on Mother's Day, the four of us "kids" were able to spend the time with our mom; the first Mother's Day we had all been together with her in 25 years! My own children sent me Mother's Day wishes via fax from Japan! They were lower elementary age at the time, so their notes and drawings were, and still are, very special to me. I'm so thankful for all that my dear mother taught me, and I am trying to pass along to my children the same values.

Glowgirl

This is a guide about Mother's day program ideas. If you are organizing a Mother's day program, here is some advice for themes and decoration ideas.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The thing I enjoy the most for Mother's Day, is to have a whole day without housework! My husband and kids take care of everything for that day and I get breakfast in bed.

My favorite Mother's Day is when I am queen for a day! I like the kids to make breakfast for me, my husband to make lunch, the kids set the table, and then we all sit down to eat and watch a movie or play games together afterwards.

Mothers Day is one of my least favorite holidays. WHY? Because kids go out and spend money they don't really have to spare when a simple hug and a 2/$1 card means so much more. One of the sweetest cards I ever got was from my oldest son saying it takes someone special to be a single Mom.

I could tell by the reading inside that he hadn't just grabbed up something to bring me. It's the little things that make a mom feel special on Mothers Day and TIME spent with her is what she REALLY wants. Sharon, KY

Here are some fun Mother's Day links. Do you have any to add?

I'm 13 years old and my mom has three kids. I need a DIY or recipe that I can do to make her feel really special. She means the world to me and sometimes I don't really show her that. She works, goes to school, and takes care of all of us at the same time! Please help me make my mom's Mother's Day special! Anything will do! THANKS A BUNCH! Heather

Answers

By Sharon,Ky (Guest Post)

One of the sweetest card I ever recieved from one of my kids said, Dear Mom, This Mother's day I LOVE YOU is for a thousand different things...for every school activity you sat through,for every "yes" you gave in to and all the "no's" you were so right about,for every word of advice and the times you stood by silently for those lessons I needed to learn on my own, for every dream you put on hold, and the sacrifices I never even knew about,for all the nights you waited up and the hard times you helped me find my way through...I will always love you! Your Child.Make her this special card and bake her a cake.She'll love you for it.Moms love special gifts and cards rather than spending money you can't afford. Just another thought make her an I.OWE .YOU card with a promise of some special thing you can do next week to lighten her load just a little.

By k96chick (Guest Post)

hi....As a mother, let me tell you........all you need to do is make a copy of this request that you have posted, and email it to her ( or better yet show it to her) You just said everything that all mother's long to hear. I promise you....this will truly make her Mother's day a sweet and precious one. But if you truly don't think that would do it or if you want to do more....attempt to get breakfast to her before she gets up. Plus breakfast is the easiest of all meals to fix. Find out what she likes...most love pancakes...and they are truly simple...is there another adult around???If so, get a box of mix --follow directions, and top with strawberries or orange marmalade. Simple simple simple...of course, since tupils or daffodils could be available, set a few out beside her plate. Oh yes, make a copy of your request and lay it out beside her plate. This is a grand way to start her day. Was really sweet that you cared enough to ask. Good Luck and God Bless.

By imaqt1962 (Guest Post)

my children once made me a booklet of coupons to do special things for me ...
like "this coupon good for 1 free back massage"
"this coupon good for mowing the yard" etc...i never used the coupon book(i still have it) but it meant so much to me
perhaps you and your siblings could do something like this too

make a simple breakfast and serve it to her in bed. If she is a coffee drinker make her a cup of coffee and some toast and serve it in bed. You may also want to do the chores she usually has to tell you to, just do it without her having to tell you. That would be a great gift.

Ziggee

I really like the idea of breakfast in bed. It could be just something really simple like toast and juice. Look around your neighborhood and ask a neighbor if you can pick a flower from their garden and just put it in a juice glass on her breakfast tray. Maybe make her a handmade card.

By Sharon,Ky (Guest Post)

The reason I suggested a cake-- when my Daughter was about 9 I had been at work and when I came home she'd attempted to bake me a cake for my birthday. She didn't have eggs and it was more like cornbread but it was the LOVE behind it that made it so special. You're a very sweet Daughter . Always keep that tender heart.

By Julie Anne Carey (Guest Post)

Hi Heather, I subscribe to the most beautifuk e-card site. You're welcome to email me your Mum's name & email address & I will write the words you want to say & sign your name to it. I'm sure she would be thrilled, as it's a pretty & feminine card. Julie Carey my email addy is: julieannecarey1954@hotmail.com, and spookaboo54@yahoo.com

I agree, as a mom, it's very touching & special to read what you have written here. Give her a copy along w/ any other ideas you come up with. It will surely make her smile...for a long time.

By r.k.r (Guest Post)

i dont know how to make a mothers day cake

By christina, az (Guest Post)

yeah i am 12 years old and i need help too! this feedback stuff really helped me, like i did the coupon thing a year ago, and my mom said she loved so much, but u dont have to worry, cause they love u so much, that they wont use it on u ever, and just keep it somewhere.

By Tiff (Guest Post)

It may be cute to write a poem and frame it

I have two teenage (14, 15) stepdaughters and a four month old son. I want to do something for my wife for mother's day. She has said she doesn't want to "get away" but would rather spend the day doing something with her children. Knowing how easily and quickly teens get bored - does anyone have any frugal ideas of how we could spend the day together and make it fun for all? Any help is very appreciated! :)

Will

Answers

By Dawn (Guest Post)

A good idea is to take her on a picnic. Except you and the kids do ALL the preparing!! Get your picnic basket out, w/ a candle and make it fun!! Don't forget the Mother's day present in the picnic basket!

I love the picnic basket idea! Take along some games, maybe horseshoes or a boardgame. Don't forget some flowers. Wild flowers in a mason jar would be fitting.

About your teenagers getting bored easily, remind them all that dear Mom does for them & that Mother's Day is just that, HER Day. Make it as special as you can. She'll appreciate your effort & the chance to be pampered!

I like the picnic idea, at the grocery, buy some sandwich spread like pimento cheese or tuna salad (remember anything with mayo in it need to be keep chilled at all times or it will cause someone to get sick), grab some chips, a jar of pickles, a box of pretty decorated snack cakes (these are all items that require no work of preparation). The making sandwiches won't take much time. Make some lemonade or buy some cheap canned drinks to ice down. Don't forget the paper plates, napkins. You don't need a pretty tablecloth, but it would add to the festivities and make your event more special.~Have a great time~

By mrsmoted2 (Guest Post)

You could go to the park, play frisbie , have a picnic, with you and the girls cooking. You could give her a backrub massage, the girls could paint her nails or give her a facial. You and the girls could write what family time means to you, or what spending time with her does, or make a list of things you appreciate about her. You and the girls could make her breakfast in bed, and/or dinner

By Sandee (Guest Post)

anyone have any idea for mothers day gift wise?

By Kristen (Guest Post)

I have the best mother's day gift!!!

It's called Seeqpod.com and they have pre-made playlists that your readers can send to their moms on her special day. They can also create their own playlists to add a personal touch.

Give it a try!

1) Click one of the links below
2) Click Share, write your customized letter to Mom and hit Send

For the more ambitious creatives looking to customize their list:
1) Go to Seeqpod.com
2) Type a search term in the search box (e.g. "The Who" or "My Generation")
3) Hover over the result and press the green arrow
4) Once you've added and finalized the audio results to the list, Click Share
5) Write that special note to Mom and Send

Here are some examples for each type of mom:

Moms and grandmas
http://www.seeq  ?plid=994197fd44

When scrolling through ThriftyFun's section for various tips, I noticed that there was a item for Mother's Day. I realize that holiday is a long ways away but it hit a soft spot in my heart. My mom is in a nursing home and had a stroke over 5 years ago. She is paralyzed on one side can't walk, talk, feed herself, bath herself, nothing. But the worst part is that she doesn't even know me or the rest of family and friends that love her so dearly. And so my dear friends, please take my advice and be kind and loving every day to your mom, not just Mother's Day. In my opinion, Mother's Day should be every day.

By Joesgirl

Mother's Day is fast approaching. When you send out cards don't forget those OTHER MOTHERS in your life who otherwise may be overlooked.

The SISTER who's been there for you all your life.

The SINGLE MOTHERS who are not only the provider but also the disciplinarian and mender of broken hearts.

The MOTHERS-TO-BE who are anxiously waiting to step up to the plate and find out what Motherhood is all about.

The MOTHERS WHO'VE LOST a child due to death.

The MOTHERS-IN-WAITING who yearn daily for the priviledge of being a mother, yet to no avail and MOTHERS PAST, to whom we no longer have the opportunity to say "I love you" but merely to place a flower on their grave in their memory.

THE SUBSTITUTE MOTHER, a grandma, or a loving sister who's always been there for you throughout your life. Just a simple

A simple "Thinking of You" card would mean so much to those forgotten mothers and a message of encouragement may be just what it takes to brighten their day!

By Sharon Shearer