FoodPhotos

Preserving Fresh Vegetables

If you keep highly perishable vegetables in your refrigerator and they go bad, here is a tip.

I keep greens for several days, I use a few leaves per day. When I get them home, I put them under the water to clean them, then shake off the water. Since water makes them rot faster, I wrap the whole batch in paper towels, then put them back in the bag I put them in for checkout. I leave lots of air in the bag, twirl the end, and tuck it underneath.

They keep much better this way. I also do this with herbs.

By Bailey36 from Dowagiac, MI

Fresh vegetables seem to break down so quickly these days, no matter how perfect the refrigerator settings. I've found a way to keep lettuce, green peppers and even green onions fresh and usable for 7 - 10 days (without chemicals or additional expense).

Upon returning from the grocery store, rinse your vegetables thoroughly (in an attempt to remove preservatives). Thereafter, wrap each item (head of lettuce, or peppers, individually) in an old dish towel and place in a plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible before securing the bag with a twist tie.

For such things as green onions or baby carrots or bean sprouts, spread the items across the unfolded towel and roll the towel (and contents) before bagging.

This is a quick and convenient way to keep from throwing out rotting or too-soft-to-use veggies!

By RoseAnne from Calgary, Canada