SoftwareComputers

Older Software Will Not Run on Windows 7 PC

I have bought a new PC with Windows 7. I love it. I do have software: Corel Print House, The Wizard of Oz and Magic. I know it so well. It is old. Windows 7 will not accept it. Can anyone help me to overcome this problem?

By Adele from Sydney Australia

I am not familiar with Windows 7, but I am familiar with Microsoft. In their Windows XP and Vista they had a compatibility mode for older software. It would be unlikely that Microsoft would get rid of this feature with Windows 7.

If I remember right (and it should be so with 7) with Vista you would right click on your icon (or on the executable to install the software), select "properties" and there will be a "compatibility" tab. Click on it and there should be a drop down available to select which mode of Windows you want the software to run in. Good luck.

Also, you may want to up grade your old software by going to their web site and see if they have any up grades to download. The new downloads may run with windows 7.

If the program is not compatible, then you may try to install and run the program in compatibility mode.
Use the following steps:
1) Right click on the Program
2) Click on Properties
3) Click on Compatibility tab
4) Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select Windows Vista or whatever operating system the program was running successfully.

Refer to the link here: Make older programs run in this version of Windows
http://windows. … rsion-of-Windows

If the compatibility is not successful, then try and run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter:

1. Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button.
Then click Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.
2. Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.
If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The troubleshooter is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

The only other option would to use XP mode and Virtual PC if your version of Windows 7 is Professional or Ultimate. If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, then you will need to use a 3rd party virtualization program. A search on the internet will help you find some free version of a virtual product for home premium.

Hope this helps.
You can download the latest version from below link as well.
http://www.stor … klo1aZ/corel.zip

Many of the programs cannot switch up to Windows 7. Now with Windows 8 in the works, it will be interesting to see if things for Vista will move on up. As of June 2010, updates will not be available for Windows XP, which also states then anything older is unavailable as well. Look at your programs for product minimal requirements.

One thing, if you like a program but have not updated when offered, they may not jump up the next version to correct operating system. I have things from my XP that won't work on my vista.