Troubleshooting Computer Software

On occasion, your computer's browser software can begin behaving in ways that are frustrating. You may need to troubleshoot the problem in order to return to normal internet functionality. This is a guide about troubleshooting computer software.

I love my computer but must admit that I'm not savvy on it at all. I am forever coming across a problem that I don't know how to fix and having to call HP, AOL or somebody to help me.

This is a guide about troubleshooting computer problems. Computers are are great tools for home and office, when they are working properly.

A man having trouble with his computer.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Just to keep my computer maintained I downloaded AOL Computer Check Up. It's free from AOL and it takes about 2 minutes when I'm turning off the computer to clean the hard drive, cache, and all temporary internet files and cookies.

My computer has become more and more unresponsive. When I open up IE, it is slow and sometimes will sorta freeze up. I can unfreeze it if I open up another page of IE and click somewhere on that page when it loads. For some reason, when I go back to the first page I was trying to get to cooperate, it will start working again.

Sometimes when I "x out" or try to close a page it is totally unresponsive. I will do control Alt delete and it still won't close out. Most times I just have to hit the power button and shut the whole computer down and I don't mean going to the start menu and shutting it off like you are supposed to, that process is unresponsive also.

I have run anit spyware and Microsoft updates and AVG antivirus software. It just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Any ideas?

Paula Scott from GA

Answers

try clearing your 'cache' open IE goto tools>options> delete files

Click "Tools", then "Internet Options"

Click "Delete Cookies", then "Delete Files".

Every site and page you go to on the internet is stored, so every now and then you need to clear these or your computer will slow down.

Depending on the age of your computer you may want to add RAM. Very easy and quick.

I have found from personal experience that downloading too many programs often causes conflicts with the operation system. My best advice to you would be to uninstall the anti spyware and Microsoft updates and AVG antivirus software, restart your computer and see if that helps (you can always install these programs back again later if you'd like). If this doesn't work I would go to google.com and type in unresponsive computer or anything else that you can think of that might best describe your problem. I have found many solutions to my computer problems by doing this.

Good Luck

1. First -dump your files, cookies, and history by going to TOOLS, to INTERNET OPTIONS, then to DELETE Browsing History, Temporary Internet Files, Passwords, Cookies, etc.

2. Next - LEFT click on MY COMPUTER. RIGHT click on your C Drive. Choose PROPERTIES. Choose the TOOLS TAB. Choose ERROR CHECKING, choose CHECK NOW. A little window will come up - put check marks in for both AUTOMATICALLY FIX ERRORS, and for SCAN FOR BAD SECTOR RECOVERY. Next choose START. A little window will come up and tell you that Windows will need to restart to perform this, and would you like to schedule it for the next time you restart Windows. Choose yes. (if you are using an older version of Windows it may not make you do this). REBOOT your computer and let the ERROR-CHECKING scan run. This may take as long as a couple of hours depending on how much data you have on your computer. If you have corrupt files (not viruses) this will attempt to correct them so that they run more smoothly.

3. Next - LEFT click on MY COMPUTER. RIGHT click on your C Drive. Choose PROPERTIES. Choose the TOOLS TAB. This time choose DEFRAGMENTATION, then choose DEFRAGMENT NOW. Another window will come up, choose DEFRAGMENT again and let this run. Again this might take an hour or two. When it is done, close the windows. DEFRAGING is like sliding all the hangers in your closet over to make space and allows the computer to run through your files quicker and more efficiently.

Depending on how much you use your computer, you might do #1 daily (or at least weekly)

#2 and #3 weekly (or at least monthly).

If you haven't already gone to WINDOWS UPDATE (look in your programs menu) and set it to automatically update Windows and Internet Explorer I really recommend that you do so. Windows tweeks its programs frequently and it will help things run better.

If after doing ALL of that, you see that you are still having problems, it may be that you do need more RAM (extra space for multiple programs to run in the background) or it may be possible that your hard-drive is getting close to failure. In either case -be sure and back-up files that you want to keep so that you don't lose anything important to you.

One additional comment - Doing a hard shut-down such as you talk about can corrupt files. If it continues to do this after you have error-checked and defragmented, my guess is that your hard-drive is getting ready to fail. Hard-drives can vary in life-time but they are mechanical and will eventually fail. Be sure and back up your data as soon as possible.

You didn't state if you have cable or dial-up, if you have "cleaned" your machine, or if you are talking about IE 7 or not.

If you have not cleaned-- please run your de-frag program-- you may need to do it more than once if you haven't done this in a long time.

Then try IE 7 again. and see how it works.

I also run CCleaner that has a freeware version-- it has stopped a lot of junk being left on the machine and causing problems.

good luck

WOW!!!!! THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE DETAILED HELP! THINGS SEEM TO BE RUNNING MUCH BETTER. Thank you for your time typing all your recommendations in...

YEAH! YEAH!

uh oh, IE7 still had bugs last I knew. I had installed it back in the winter and my computer started doing really bad stuff and running weird. A friend on messenger told me by chance they had installed IE7 and it crashed their whole system. they had to uninstall it and go back to the older version. I actually ended up calling microsoft and they uninstalled it for free and helped to fix my computer. Google microsoft and get their phone number and call them. Anyone thinking of getting IE7 might want to wait until the bugs are out of it.

Try using Firefox until you get the IE situation fixed.

You will have less crashes. It's free.

http://www.goog  a:en-US:official

You can transfer your favorites to Firefox. Also free.

https://addons.  irefox/addon/720

IE 7 is not compatible with some services, like math labs for college students. Go back to ie 6. Unfortunately, the math lab I use won't take Firefox, so I stay with ie 6 and when it acts up, I go to Firefox.

The favorites transfer will probably just send favs to Firefox and not the other way around, which means that if you want to bookmark something for use in both, you'll have to do it from ie - unless this has changed!

The transfer that I used I couldn't find, so I am suggesting the above one instead - but I haven't used it. It had a name like, "old favorites". I had a bunch of IE problems until my son switched my computer from win 2000 to win xp. Made ALL the difference in the world.

PS: While I was still using win 2000, I bought a subscription to PC Doc Pro - worth every penny. It cleaned up the messed up registries and no doubt helped in other ways, too.

Son thought it was a waste at the time, but when I now run a scan it points out the registry problems, so win xp notwithstanding, it is still helping as far as I am concerned. Wish I'd found it sooner. Bought a double subscription because I also use it to clean up my daughter's laptop when it crashes (less expensive than taking the laptop to a repair shop so it pays for itself just with this feature).

To keep my computer healthy, I run these programs:

1.PC Doc Pro

2.Crap Cleaner (free shareware)

3.Trend Micro Anti-spyware

4.disk defrag

5.disk cleanup

PC Doc Pro is www.neurosoftcorp.com

Crap Cleaner is at filehippo.com

http://www.file  wnload_ccleaner/

Trend Micro anti spyware I bought at Fry's, but can no doubt be purchased online or elsewhere - I waited until they ran a sale - they had a free anti-spyware scan I'd use, annoying to download each and every time, but was glad to have it.

Good luck.

My problems disappeared with win xp and reformatting the hard drive (which unfortunately required re-formatting at least some 4 times under win 2000).

You could have some malicious tags or software that are acting like a parasite to IE. effectively hijacking it. try running a program called Hijack This, it is a free ware program that can be downloaded on Google and has worked for me many times before. if you can not get it up and running, you can call me at 770-573-0741 and i may have some other suggestions. My company's name is Atlanta Technical Solutions, we serve Metro Atlanta and surrounding areas.

My guess is it has malware (Spyware)

Download Ad-Aware Personal SE and run it couple of times.

It is a free program.

Look on Google for URL.........jr

I have a Dell laptop Inspirion, and I'm on AOL 9.6 which is compatible with my system. As I type I am accidentally hitting possibly the space bar and or other keys and my cursor jumps to some previous place in my email, though it also happens in Word Perfect. I've never had this problem before with other computers.

Is this what "sticky keys" are? Is this just a glitch in the system? It's so frustrating since I write a lot while reading from my notebook. I have to keep looking at the computer to make sure the cursor didn't jump back and mess everything up. Any suggestions? Or is it just this computer?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Patti

By Patti from Ewing, NJ

I use Netscape as my browser and today it loaded fine earlier in the day, but when I tried to load it a second time it won't load, in fact there's absolutely no response when I click on the icon. I know that Netscape is not the best browser these days, but all of my bookmarks I've saved up throughout the years are on there. I tried downloading a newer version of Netscape but it won't load either. Please help!

Answers

You might try right clicking on icon and select 'safe mode'. Have you run a good spyware program? Also, you might want to do a system restore to an earlier date. Hope it loads for you soon!

I forgot to add try firefox or IE, your bookmarks should show up there also.

Recently my computer has been having an issue. When I type in an internet address (ie: my bank, aol mail, etc.), it says "Internet Explorer has blocked this site due to security certificate issues", telling me the certificate has either expired or is not valid. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

I restored my computer to an earlier time before this issue and it didn't help

imaqt1962 from IL

Answers

There are several options that you can try.

Make sure that you clean the cookies and cache from your PC.

You might have to drop your firewall before you can access the websites in question.

Lastly Click on Tools, Click on Internet Options, Click on Content, Click on Certificates and see if there is an adjustment you can make.

And if none of the above work, click on Start. Click on Help and Support and see if you can find your answer in Help and Support.

I just had this problem today. I had to call the place where I was trying to go online and they walked me thru renewing the security certificate. I don't know why this happened but I was able to go to the website after a few steps.

Your security setting may be too high.

Click on tools, internet options, then click on the security tab and adjust the sliding bar (at the bottom) to a different setting. Your setting may be at 'high' which won't allow access to many sites. If you adjust it to 'medium' that may help.

I wouldn't drop a firewall just to get into a site. If all advice fails, download Mozilla Firefox free. It's a better browser than IE, as this site shows:

http://www.xulp  rts/reasons.html

and it is much less subject to hackers and spyware.

http://news.bbc  logy/3840101.stm

Check the overview on your anti virus.

For some reason my computer won't let me load any software. I can't retrieve pictures from a disk, I can't load Digital Image (which worked fine on my other computer), nothing loads from my CD reader.

When I try setup.exe I get a "not found" message, and I don't seem to have Setup Wizard at all, even when the disc I try to run has it. What's going on, and how do I get my computer to read things?

By Chiismychi from Tucson, AZ

My computer keeps jumping around. I can't write a complete sentence. What could be the problem?

By Gerry

I can open my emails, but as of yesterday I can not delete, forward, reply, or send. Those options are not loaded; even the update option won't work.

By Chris

Does anyone know if Windows Internet Explorer has changed the layout/format of their home page? Internet Explorer is my home page and it looks different than it used to.

By Sharon from Southern IL

How can I find what Windows has done with my desktop gadget clock? After an update the whole thing disappeared and seems to be nowhere on my computer. The gadget app was my clock.

By Anne S from Bradford UK

I used to have the choice when loading up my Mozilla Firefox browser to choose the regular mode or the "safe" mode. Several days ago I tried to log on in "regular" mode and only the "safe" mode was available to me.

Did I change something by hitting something in the program accidentally? Oh, yeah, duh. Now that I think about it, I do remember my computer freezing up last week and I hit the "control-alt-delete" button to try and unfreeze it. Was that it? If so, what did I hit and what did I do wrong? How do I again bring up the "regular" (not safe-mode) of Firefox again?

By Cyinda from the Seattle/Tacoma area

My Dell won't let me uninstall my corrupted Bluetooth drivers so I can install new ones. Does anyone know how to convince it to let me uninstall? It is a Dell Inspiron 64 Bit, Windows 8. The photo shows what I'm getting. It won't let me do anything.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Gateway computer and as of late, the computer starts to hum after about 45 minutes. I assumed it is the fan and that it needs cleaning. Now the technician said, it might be something else. I do not know his reputation and I had some bad luck the last time. Has anybody had the some problem and can give me some advice?