CockroachesPest Control

Inexpensive Alternative for Controlling Bugs

Does any one have an inexpensive alternative for controlling bugs other than expensive exterminators? Mainly cockroaches, as Texas has an over abundance!

Phyllis from Ferris, Texas

I don't know about cockroaches, as I live in Ohio, and we do have them in Ohio, but not like down south. But up here we have ant problems. The best things for ants is cinnamon and lemon juice. If you sprinkle cinnamon whereever they are entering the house, they will stop. I usually sprinkle a little line of it across all doors into my home, and anywhere else they have come in before every spring.

Also, if you mix lemon juice and dishsoap into a spray bottle, it will kill them instantly with no harsh chemicals. So if you have pets or little ones around, lemon juice mixed with dishsoap should not be a problem for them!

Borax. Get borax (20 Mule Team Borax in your local supermarket will do). Spread it around liberally where there are cockroaches. They track it into their nests and it kills the adults as well as the eggs. Guaranteed to work. And it's cheap and won't harm pets or children. It's what the exterminators and manufacturer of bug killers don't want you to know.

We had a problem with Rolly Pollies or potato bugs, whatever you call them in our lower level in our home. They are the bugs with lots of legs that when they are touched the roll into a ball. We had them so bad, I was tired of it. You could vacuum them up and the next day there were plenty more. Someone told us a bout a spray called "Bayer" that is a liquid that you spray inside and outside of your home. It can be purchased at Lowes. He did it, and every time I turned around, there were like dead rolly Pollies all over the place. Found dead ones for I'd say a few weeks. Haven't seen a live one in a long time. It also works for spiders and other creepy crawlers. I haven't seen a spider in I don't know when. You can use it every 10 months or so. But we won't if there is no problem. This stuff really works.

Linda from PA

Borax is the best! Sprinkle it plain around areas inconspicuous. You can also mix a little sugar with the borax and it will attract the sweet eating ants that are so abundant in Ohio. I use aluminum foil to make a small bowl and put it in there.

How about the beetles in Ohio?? Anyone have a suggestion for them? I heard bay leaves worked (from the Amish), but I didn't see that it helped. It is almost time for the soybean crops to be cut and watch out, they will show up everywhere!! I've done a little reading on them and they were put here to eat aphids off soybean plants. That is where they mate, etc, too. They only seek out our homes to take shelter for the cold weather.

Cheryl
http://www.2ewenique.com

The boric acid powder you buy at the store to kill bugs works good. Hide it in piles under the sinks, along baseboards, use care with pets. This will get rid of them. Robyn

Believe it or not, you can purchase inexpensive Catnip at the local pet shop. It is non toxic to pets and/or humans. Sprinkle it into drawers, on counter tops (Like at bedtime) and the darn things will just disappear! I have a friend who used this successfully in his garage, in drawers, on top of tool bench and he hasn't see a roach in years.