Garnishing a Student Loan Refund for Child Support?

Can a student loan refund be garnished for child support?

By liz from TX


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 29, 20090 found this helpful

Yes and so can your tax refund.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 3, 20090 found this helpful

You might want to check with your states domestic relations office. The website might be

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 4, 20090 found this helpful

Yep. Any kind of refund can be attached. Depending on how far in arrears someone is, their licenses can also be held - driver's license, any professional license (Realtor, doctor, dentist, etc.).

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,394 Feedbacks
June 6, 20090 found this helpful

I find it interesting that, although my husband's Social Security is garnished and the CSEA took his 2008 and 2009 stimulus checks to apply to an ancient child support claim (the child turns 27 this August,) my husband's student loan refund (through the Dept of Ed) reached us intact. Hmm...

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 6, 20090 found this helpful

If you are trying to figure out if you can garnish for back money you are owed then I would call a local attorney and ask if they do not know they will point you in the right direction for free.


If you are trying to advoid paying child support then I have a little advice-Support your child by paying your child support. If the custodial parent does not spend the money on the child you can always look your child in the face when they are grown and say I paid child support I can't help it if you did not get what you needed. It is sad but some non custodial parents are so hell bent not making the custodial parents lives any better they would rather not pay child support thus making their own childrent do with out.

As far as the person's huband that is still paying child support and his child is now 27 if he had supplied necessaties (by paying child support) for his child when it was growing up he would not owe the mom for pulling his side of the load. As his wife it is your responsibilty to see this wrong is righted even if you have to step in there and do it.


By the way, no I have never been divorced nor have I ever owed child support but my mother was a single mom that never received child support.

I might blog about this a little further as this is something I feel very strongly about having lived it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 27, 20110 found this helpful

You guys are morons. Bunch of women answering questions on something they have no idea what they are talking about. The loan refund can not be intercepted by the child support because it is not considered income. It is a student loan! Used for educational expenses and paid back after graduating from college.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 23, 20180 found this helpful

Actually they are speaking the truth and it can be intercepted because my sons father owes me $17K in back support and they just took his student loan. This was years ago yall were talking about this, but still get your facts straight. These women do know what they are talking about.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 26, 20140 found this helpful

We live in MD. My son is bipolar and receiving SSDI. Before he was diagnosed he couldn't pay child support for several months. When he got his award his son did as well. It was over $5000. He owed $9000. His ex-wife had the right to apply the money to his arrearage or not. She chose not. His son's benefit was more than the child support ordered. She would not apply the overage to the amount. He was ordered to pay an additional $90 a month on the arrearage on top of the benefit the my grandson is receiving. My son is doing well on his meds and therapy and went back to school on student loans.


His benefit is $1100 a month. He couldn't pay the $90 extra.

They are now intercepting his student loan refund of $2700 and applying it to the arrearage. She has bought a new home with her boyfriend and is sending my grandson to a private school. The federal govt has ruled that my son is too ill to work, but they take the money they give him to give to his dead beat ex-wife and her boyfriend. My son can't get a loan, buy a car or get an apt. He is a good dad. Something is wrong with this picture.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 29, 2009
Mother's Day Ideas!
Father's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-03 08:20:11 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.