Cleaning Grease Off Wood Cabinets

What way is best to clean wood cabinets with grease buildup on them?

By Barbara from Taylorsville, MS

Best Answer

I would try Murphy's Oil Soap.

I just bought an older house and the wooden kitchen cabinets were filthy. I tried everything recommended but nothing worked. Then a friend of mine, who cleans college housing, told me to use amonia and hot water.

I bought a cheap jug of lemon ammonia at Wal-mart, mixed it strong with hot water, (wear a mask and gloves) and started wiping down cabinets and drawers. It was strong, but it worked and the wood looks beautiful. Hope this helps.

The advice given by SeptBlueMusic was spot on! Not only did it work quickly, but wow, the oak cabinets at last had no greasy film on them whatsoever...it even removed the accumulated grease from the handles and hardware. I took her advice and wore a mask and gloves, and also did the work outside. Now, onto sanding and restaining them! Thank you, thank you, thank you SeptBlueMusic!