Shopping at Garage Sales

I love garage sales, but I also like saving my money on junk. I always take my iced water along for days when the weather forecast calls for hot, humid weather. It is also good to keep a tape measure and bungee ties in the car for measuring items and hauling them away. Always take the time to thoroughly inspect an item you are interested in, it is better to spot a stain before you buy than after.

I always ask if they will take less and make an offer, be careful you don't insult the host and forfeit the purchase. If an item is the wrong color, I ask myself if it's worth painting or reupholstering, most times the answer is "yes".

For every piece of furniture I bring home, I give or sell another one. This way I don't crowd out my living space. With furniture you should look for "good bones"; will it still be useful in ten years? Can I easily and inexpensively re-do the piece? Where will I put it?

I budget money for the day, once the money is gone, so is the garage saling experience. Have fun this summer.

By yoder178 from Elkhart, IN

Good tip. The only thing I'd add is, have an idea what you really want/need before you set out. Write it down if necessary. It won't eliminate impulse buys, but might cut down on them a bit.