Pest ControlGardening

Snakes In Water Garden

I have a water garden in my backyard. This year I have an over abundance of snakes! Does anyone have ideas on how to safely get rid of them without affecting the water garden or the landscape?

Meari

We use snake-away in our gardens. You can purchase it at Home Depot or Most hardware stores. Some Wal Marts carry it also. Look in the gardening section where they have pest control.

Your real problem may not be the snakes. First, find out what kind they are. If you have a lot of snakes, it is because they are finding a lot of food, as in mice, moles, birds, etc. Also, they are finding your backyard snake friendly. You need to remove or secure in some way any item they can get beneath. If they are posionous, call local animal control. Killing is a last resort. Snakes are valuable rodent control

c.j.cox

Thrifty_Fun

how exactly do you "secure in some way any item they can get beneath" - for rabbits I'm thinking they suggest chicken wire, but can't snakes get thru that?

my particular problem is garter snakes and they like my kids sandbox - which is NOT where I want to find them.

I have a creek in my backyard and we've had snakes as well. I found that moth balls work wonderfully - I lined the perimeter of my backyard with them and saw a couple of snaes take off in the other direction. Lime also works very well - you can just drizzle a 'line' around the area you don't want the snakes and they will not cross it. Hope this helps!

Seems to be quite a year for snakes, I have them too. They've taken over my 30-40' "cottage garden" in the back yard, and this morning one surprised me in the garage. Now, I know they're smaller than me, but I have a real phobia with them. I thought of using snake away, but somebody said if they're already there it will just keep them from leaving. Will moth balls do the same, or would the smell drive them far away? Help?

we just moved here to indiana and we have a small creek running up behind our house and our dogs just love it but recently we've been spotting this one snake about 2 1/2 ft and a tanish grey color and im afriaid its poisonous and my dogs will get ahold of em i've called walmart and our local harware/ home stores and they have never heard of a snake repelant i'll try the moth balls

I have a pond with koi and gold fish in it. previously, all of my old fish were eaten by snakes. this is the irst year with having a huge problem with snakes. i take them ourt of the pond using a wooden stick with a hook on the end, and kill them. i have replaced all my fish, but im still afraid that the snakes will get them, and there not the cheapest things to replace. i thought about using moth balls or snake away...but will the snake away or moth balls run off into the pond when it rains? and will that harm the fish and/or plants? any ideas?

Caleb

I have had luck with sulfer powder put a circle around your pond

I, too, have a problem with snakes. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and daily find snakes in my backyard pond. Although annoying, I used to let them live until I witnessed one eating my fish. Up until then, I was catching them and releasing them down at the river. Now....well.....I dispose of them. I cannot put mothballs around my pond as it will harm my fish, tadpoles and plants if they leak out into the pond during a rain. I DO NOT want snakes in my yard!!!!!! I DO NOT have a rodent problem (I have pet cats) and see no positive reason to let these fish and tadpole attackers live in my yard. I am tired of looking online for help in getting rid of them and only finding sites that tell me I should be glad they're in my yard! I have lost too many fish & tadpoles to them to even count!

I, too, want them gone for good and need help.

i have heard that copper pipes to slugs is like human teeth to aluminum foil. wondering if snakes will slither over copper pipes? I hate snakes and have two many in my garden, I am determined to figure out a way to garden on my .5 acre with out them

Just hire a snake person to get them and release them in the wild DO NOT KILL THEM Snakes are our friends they help with the mice and rats population. Repeat DO NOT KILL

i love snakes

lucky i want snakes in my yard i have so many mice and rats ect.

ewwwww..... I understand that snakes get rid of rodents, but to be quite honest, i would rather have a HUGE rat in my house than the 18 inch snake i found in my garage last night, i feel held hostage in my home. Husband caught and released of that one, but said he thought he saw one go under my washing machine-- not cool. I will try moth balls and snake away.

We identify with Elly from Saskatchewan above. This is our first year with our beautiful backyard waterscape....and like a lot of others I'm reading here, we're now finding the serpant in our little paradise. We do not want garter snakes in our pond system....we have a 25 year old pet turtle living out there and a great deal of money and affection tied up in our Koi. We do not want to lose them to these slinky invaders. We don't have a rodent problem so have no reason to have snakes. What solution really does work that won't leach into the pond system? Please help!

We sprinkled mothball crystals around our koi pond to keep the snakes away. We haven't seen any snakes lately, but all of our fish died within a couple of weeks!

i have noticed that if you can get the snake out of the pond by scaring them with a stick or poking at them , they are real easy to catch. I got one of them this morning,, seems we get one or two a day.i live next to a creek so they are abundant. and yes they eat koi....

There is a "scent" chemical that you can use which the snakes sense through their Jacobs organ.

I heard Carbolic acid can be used to repel snakes instantly. Try this one...

I have had a koi pond for the last 5 years . This is the first year I have had problems with copperheads getting into my pond . This is also the first year where copperheads have killed all my ducks that were enclosed in chicken wire and lattice fencing top and bottom were enclosed also with bricks around it to. This is driving me nuts anyone have any idea how to get rid of these snakes. We also have a creek about 50 yards from the house, but never had a problem till this year. They haven't killed any of my koi yet, but most are at least 2 ft. long. Any suggestions? I have also noticed that we don't have as many frogs of toads this years as we have had in the past. Thank you for your help.

We have Koi and Gold fish too, we found a snake a week ago and now all our fish seem to have disappeared. While researching for a solution, we read that if you have snakes you will not have frogs or toad either. This is a real problem for Koi and Gold fish pond lovers. We enjoyed feeding them in the evening and relaxing.

Do not use moth balls around your pond, they may fall in the water and kill your fish.