AdviceCars

Painting a Graphic on My Car

I have a vinyl graphic on both sides of my BMW but I want to mark it out with tape, then take the actual vinyl off and spray it on. I would like advice on the best way to do this as I do not wish to mess it up. Please let me know the best way to go about it and what is the best paint to use. Should I use any primer or sand the area down? Do I need to put a lacquer on afterwards?

Also, the paint on the wing on my passenger side has faded abit and I would like to get it back to the same colour as the rest of the car. If you could advise me on the best way to do these this I would be grateful. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Kerry

I'm not an expert, so my first advice would be to ask an expert...like someone at a shop that tricks out cars. You might also want to investigate something called fact-o-bake. That is a paint process to fix any paint problems on vehicles. As for spray painting, doing it yourself might lead to overspray on areas you don't want painted. (Spray paint doesn't always go just where you want it...think wind factor.) I bet talking with anyone at a car shop that does painting/tricking out cars can give you an idea of what would look good as well as things to avoid.

The best method for taking the vinyl graffic off is to use a hair dryer on low heat that will loosen the adhesive and the graphic will peel off easily most shop signs are done the same way now i learnt this trick from a sign writer.Before painting you will need to remove all the glue.I would seek advice from a reputable spray painter being a bmw it is probably a 2 pot spray mix which would not be advisable to paint yourself as contains cyanide.Maybe get the spraypainter to quote a price for the panels may not be too pricey as not the complete car it will increase the value as well.brent