Does Mold in Refrigerator Contaminate Food?

Does mold in a refrigerator contaminate everything that is in it, such as bottled ketchup, jellies, mustard, etc.?

By terri from Atlanta, GA


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 13, 20090 found this helpful

I suppose it depends on how much mold there is. In one frig I had, I constantly had black mildew growing on the fan in the back, and if I didn't clean that off regularly, it might spread to the outside of ketchup bottles or something like that. I used to just wipe them down with dilute bleach. Usually it was only on the label, anyway. It didn't get on the contents. If you had layers of fuzzy growth, I would pitch the stuff out. Really, if the stuff is tightly closed, the contents would be fine, but you might find it difficult to clean the outside if the mold growth is excessive.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 13, 20090 found this helpful

Only what the mold is on is contaminated. Do not eat any of it & throw it away, so you will not get sick.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 14, 20090 found this helpful

I think the first thing to be concerned about is the fact that there's mold in your refrigerator at all! It's really a worry, so you need to find out exactly where it came from, what it's on and get rid of it completely. Yes, diluted bleach is a good start, and so is vinegar (but do NOT us it with the bleach). Check the rubber gasket around the door. Is there mold or mildew in that? Then take an old toothbrush, dip it into the diluted bleach and then scrub all the grooves and edges until they're completely clean.


Then, take another old toothbrush, and repeat it! Don't forget the gasket on the bottom, either (I know, bummer!).

Always save food in closed containers, not just wrapped in plastic and stuck on a shelf. Mold spores are teensie, and it only takes one. When you want to use something, take it out of the fridge before you open the container. That way, if it has mold on it, it won't be released inside the fridge, but on the counter or in the sink, which can both be cleaned easily.

I sure hope you get rid of it. Nobody wants their appliances to be the topic of a science fair project! Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceJuly 10, 2009
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-08-18 12:24:25 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.