Removing Rust From Baking Pans

My mom has passed on two very old but very useful loose bottom cake tins to me. Unfortunately, as they are over forty years old and haven't been used for many years they are very rusty. I would appreciate a thrifty household remedy for removing this rust. Thanks for a wonderful site.

Sarita from South Africa

Best Answer

I confess I'm not familiar with shopping in South Africa, but in the United States we have a product called naval jelly. You brush the "jelly" on the rust and it removes the rust very cleanly. Of course, you would then have to make sure that the pan is washed in hot soapy water. It has been my experience that once a pan has rust on it, it is very likely to come back.

I realize these were given to you by your mother and they may hold sentimental value. If you choose to buy other cake pans, perhaps you could do something "craft-wise" with your mom's pans and hang them in your kitchen. I have cooking tools from my grandmother (and I'm 64 years old - today! so many of them would be over 100 years old) that I have hanging in my kitchen. They're too old to use, but I'd like to keep them for sentimental reasons.

I clean mine with hit soapy water everytime I use them. Then I put tgem in the oven right side up to dry.

The ones I use all the time I season them with a vegetable oil coating while still hot, cool and put away for the next time.

Best Answer

I was given many bread pans that had tough grime and rust and I scrubbed them with a Brillo/SOS pad, removed the rust and grime. From now on, when I wash them, I immediately wipe them dry and put them away to prevent more rust from re-appearing.

By Mandy (Guest Post)

Try an SOS pad.

By Daisy (Guest Post)

My lady friend has been an RN nurse for 35 years. And when I told her about one of my baking pans that had rust on it, she told me to throw it out!

She told me, rust is very dangerous for our health. From then on if I see anything with rust on it I dispose of it right away. After scrubbing the rust till it disappears, it may still show signs of coming back.

Rust is not necessarily dangerous to your health. You can clean it off with a scouring pad and it will be fine. A little rust in a pan can actually be benefit to your health. One of the many functions of iron is that we need iron to make our red blood cells which deliver oxygen all over the body. An old fashioned cast iron skillet renders about 1 to 5 milligrams of iron per use. Like vitamin C, excess iron is eliminated in urine, sweat, and other body fluids.

Very true. Also as with using a cast iron frying pan; if you will just wipe a small amount of oil on it before putting it away it will not rust.Also, I find pots and pans at yard sells that are very nasty.

I spray with oven cleaner and wash - then I have gently used nice clean pots and pans.

spray them with oven cleaner and put them in your oven when you are cleaning it --worked for me.
otherwise try using navel jelly (ask for it at your hardware store).