Cleaning Rust Off a Dog Crate

Category Rust
If it gets left outside, a dog crate can easily become rusty and should be cleaned before being used or sold. This is a guide about cleaning rust off dog crate.

How do I clean rust off the bars of a metal dog crate (cage) so it will be safe for a pet to use? I don't know what type of metal it is.

Donna from NY

Answers

By gator10tx (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Naval jelly can also be found in automotive stores. Name brand 'Bondo' calls it 'Rust Remover' and is found next to other chassis restoration (dents 'n dings) products.

By Donna Martin (Guest Post)

When I was a kid, my dad gave me Naval Jelly to use on my bike's handlebars. They were rusted and I was complaining. It worked! I suppose you would look in a hardware store to find it.

By renee (Guest Post)

I would say a brillo pad as long as you rinse well and mother's polish is great for removing rust used them both for similar things

My son just discovered how useful vinegar can be on rust. He had a bowl of vinegar and water he was using to wash down his shower. He decided to put a few rusty sockets in when he was done and they came out clean after soaking for 15 minutes.

They just needed to be wiped off and dried and now he can clean all his wrenches and sockets that have gotten rusty due to his neglect. I am suggesting you use the same method for cleaning your dogs cage/carrier. Wash with vinegar, it won't hurt your dog or the environment.