General AdviceLegal

Unable to Work Due to a Car Accident

I will try to make this short, I was in a car accident 2 years ago. It was not my fault. I was told by the doctors, after months of therapy that I was able to go back to work. I listened to him and to my friends and went back to work, even though I knew my body was not up to it.


OK, here's the deal. I signed off. Since September 2, 2009 I have had 5 surgeries and another one on Feb. 8th. All are for injuries from the accident.

When I went back to work, I re-injured, my hands, elbows, neck, and both shoulders. My question is, is there anything I can do about this? I have had no income since September 1st. I do get medicaid and now am going to get food stamps, but no other income. They say I cannot get disability, maybe workman's compensation. What do you all think I should do. I need your help. Thanks.

By ann

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 25, 20100 found this helpful

Definitely try for disability. It often takes more than one time. Consult a disability lawyer. Apply for welfare. That's what it's there for. Apply for workmen's comp. That's what its there for.


I am not being facetious. Try everything and all. If you were injured on the job, of course you qualify for
workmen's comp. Regardless of whether you should have gone back or not. You had a release and were therefore starting fresh. Something else happened. The connection is there, but it's not a legal connection I don't think.It's just a sequence connection, but if you were released to work, you were released to work. Don't hesitate.

As to why you don't qualify for disability, I'd triple check that and fill out app anyway if you haven't already. If your only help over time is welfare, that is a form of recognized disability; people pay taxes, citizens sometimes need help. Don't make more of it than it is.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 25, 20100 found this helpful

I suggest to keep on trying for disability. I don't know how some people do it. I have a friend who was in a work related accident in another state, and has been getting disability from that state in the amount of about $2,000 a month and she had been a school bus driver so we know she wasn't real high paid. She also gets disability from the federal government, retirement social security, and also draws off her ex-husband's retirement social security.


She lives real well, but complains about not being able to afford things. What I don't understand is that when I applied for retirement soc. sec., I knew I could draw off my ex-husbands, and was told by the social security office that what I could draw off his, was just enough that when combined with mine, I am living off half of what he does. But still my friend is allowed to have all of that income. The government has some really strange rules.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 28, 20100 found this helpful

I would definitely check with a good lawyer. If when you returned to work you were feeling better & without the pain you may be able to get workmans comp. Returning to work could have caused more damage & be considered a comp case. If the dr. says you are unable to work then apply for disability. Do not let the dr. tell you it is waste of time. Push for the papers.They most likely will turn you down the first time but don't stop. Look for a lawyer in your area who doesn't charge unless you get something. Look for the ones with free consultations. Find out what your options are. Good luck & hang in there.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 28, 20100 found this helpful

In Ohio we have Heat Share, which helps low income people pay for energy. They also offer a free cell phone, you qualify if you get food stamps. My son gets these. I don't know what state you are in, but I would ask, ask, ask! I called the Mental Health Association and they told me there was nothing he could get.


It was a year before I found these things. Many churches have food pantries, free clothing. But the most important thing is to find a lawyer and go for either Disability or Workman's Comp. Try legal aid first. If they can't help, ask around and find a lawyer who does a lot of these cases. You deserve it!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 31, 20100 found this helpful

Keep trying to get disability! It took several times for my sister in law before she finally got it! See if you can get the doctor to help you! Don't give up and keep trying! Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 1, 20100 found this helpful

This is a question you should be asking a lawyer. And you should ask him right away. These things have time limits, and if you wait too long you may be sorry. He shouldn't charge you unless he wins your case. He also should be able to recommend a doctor to help you with disability payments while you are unable to work.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJanuary 25, 2010
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by ThriftyFun.

Generated 2018/08/17 20:12:12 in 932 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!