CarpetCleaning

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

We have three dogs in the house, and the carpet smells like dogs. What can I use to make the carpet smell fresher?

By Linda Turk from Wausau, WI

By Katie (Guest Post)

Try sprinkling baking soda on the carpet in the morning, then vacuum when you get home from work. Just don't let the pets lay on the carpet before you vacuum!

You say not urine related, so I have to assume it is from a wet or sweaty or dirty dog laying on the carpet and furniture? Is this a big dog? I ask because my ex had a black lab that caused the same problem.

Have everything professionally cleaned, including the dog and buy the dog a portable kennel to keep indoors for it to sleep in. Then make a habit of having the dog and his bedding cleaned every other week or more if necessary.

Good Luck,
Dollmaker

Just add some Nature's Miracle (the white bottle) in your carpet cleaner water chamber (I love Bissels) & this should do the trick. Also; I love using Oxyclean; it does a great job on many stains also.

You will need to clean your carpets frequently with a mixture of cold water, white vinegar, and a few drops detergent. The vinegar will greatly help to remove odors. Cold water will help to remove stains, whereas hot water sets stains. Too much detergent draws dirt to the carpet, so use very little. It would be best to use a steamer for this job. I have 3 dogs, and I removed all the carpets in my home and replaced them with tile, etc. because I wanted to avoid the smells. I also have leather furniture.

We use an attachment that fits on our vacuum cleaner that picks up those hairs which produce those doggy smells.We had a turbo vac but it kept busting the turbo belt so we binned it. We now use an ordinary low cost vac. We bought an attachment fom Stirt Systems on the net,and haven't looked back. It's called a Hairyhog and we also bought the Seathog for use in the auto. Hope this helps, and good luck.

How do you get the smell of dogs out of wall to wall carpet, and furniture when it is not urine related?

Lisa from Pa

Answers:

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

Try sprinkling baking soda on the carpet in the morning, then vacuum when you get home from work. Just don't let the pets lay on the carpet before you vacuum! (10/03/2008)

By Katie

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

Just add some Nature's Miracle (the white bottle) in your carpet cleaner water chamber (I love Bissels) and this should do the trick. Also, I love using Oxiclean; it does a great job on many stains. (11/26/2009)

By Barbara Lindsley

How do I remove pet odor from carpet?

Kathryn from Palm Bay, FL

Answers:

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

Vinegar BEFORE anything else.
If you have put any soap, detergent, etc on it ... it is too late.

(02/05/2008)

By Therese

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

Wet spots vinegar, dry carpet sprinkle with baking soda with lavender essential oil let it set for 10 min then vacuum. (02/05/2008)

By Emily

Removing Pet Odor from Carpet

The only thing that did it for me was to have the carpet professionally cleaned then do everything possible to prevent accidents from happening (my dog is in his crate when I run errands, etc.) (02/06/2008)

By LuvMyGingerKids