Discouraging Cats from Scratching the Carpet

Category Cats
Cats scratch to sharpen their claws, to strengthen their forelegs, and to mark territory. The texture of carpet is quite appealing to many cats. There are several things you can try such, as a carpet scratching post and odor eliminating products if you believe the this is marking behavior. This is a guide about discouraging cats from scratching the carpet.

My cats have scratching post that they use all the time. But, in the morning when I wake up I find they have torn at the carpet. I live in an apartment. It had new carpet put in before I moved in. Usually they don't replace the padding too, in rentals.

Could there be a scent left in the padding from previous renters that is attracting them to that spot? I have lived here 3 yrs. They didn't start doing this until the last year. Is there something I can do to deter them from doing this?

By Denise from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

Your cats are marking. You are probably right about a scent being there. There is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway that will keep cats from marking. You need to follow the directions and reapply until the habit is broken. It is a bit pricey but it works. Get the spray product. It is cheaper purchased on the internet. You might also try one of the enzyme soaks for pet accidents that you can get from pet stores. Natures Miracle is a good one.