Soap MakingCrafts

Melt and Pour Soapmaking

Category Soap Making
Materials:
  • Melt and Pour base Soap (found in all good craft stores)

melt and pour soaps

Instructions:

You can melt the base in a double boiler or the microwave. If you choose the microwave, make sure you cover the bowl you are melting the melt and pour (MP) with Saran Wrap to keep the excess moisture from evaporating out. Simply melt the base on high for one minute and stir the remaining, unmelted pieces in.

If you use a double-boiler, simply bring the water to boil, add your melt and pour, cover, turn the heat on low and walk away. Check on the base periodically to see it it's melted.

If you add fragrance oil, add it after the base is fully melted. Stir until the fragrance is fully incorporated and the base doesn't look "cloudy." Start with .25 ounce per pound of base and work up or down from there. You can also use essential oils.

If you wish to add colorant, add the color when the base is melting. Just throw in 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon mica with the melting base and stir it in really well. Spray any "mica bubbles" that form on the top with rubbing alcohol. To use food coloring, simply put in 1 drop at a time to your melted base and color to preference. Too much can stain hands and towels, so be careful!

Pour into your molds - and spray the top with rubbing alcohol to get rid of any excess bubbles.

Use and enjoy once the soap is hard - which takes a few hours.

The finished product - a beautifully handcrafted bar of soap!

About The Author: Visit http://www.Craftbits.com for Free Step by Step Craft Lessons. 100's of Free Craft Projects, Free Patterns and weekly craft competitions. Participate in a worldwide craft swap or just get some free craft advice.

Thank you for that simple explanation with easy instructions, I appreciate it.
http://www.frugalforlife.com

I have a question...can you use Ivory soap as a base? I tried doing this in my microwave to make the coffee/cream soap recipe I saw on here...and I did not know this, but Ivory will bubble up in giant mounds of foam when you heat it. I think I'll try it on the stove...I don't actually think it's going to work...I might just have to break down and get some castile soap at the grocery store. What would you recommend? I'll let you know how this batch turns out with the Ivory soap. I don't think it's going to be very good.

The soap with the Ivory base turned out okay but very soft. I don't think it's going to be holding together for long but we'll see how it goes. I think it makes a good hand bar for the sink. I don't think it's going to stay in one piece in the shower. LOL Well, thanks!