Squirt Bottle for Dog Training

My two dogs were really bad about jumping on anyone who walked in the door. It didn't matter who it was, strangers, friends, or family. They weren't choosy. They were also bad about barking and not quieting down whenever someone knocked on the door. I tried many different methods, but finally came up with a simple solution which solved both problems. And it didn't hurt the dogs at all.

I got a small squirt bottle, one that squirts a good stream, and filled it with water. I keep it about halfway between my chair and the door. When someone knocks on the door, I allow the dogs to bark a few times. I don't want them thinking they aren't allowed to bark, but I wanted them to quit when I told them that's enough.

So after they had barked a couple of times so that they knew I heard them, then I told them sternly "That's enough!" and squirted them on the back. The squirt got their attention so they were able to hear me. Then when the guest came through the door and they started to jump again, I squirted their backs again saying "Don't jump!"

It only took a few times of doing this and they got the message. Now if they are going too far, all I have to do is pick up the bottle and they are reminded. Now I have noticed that someone is at the door without it being a barking ruckus, and my guests can come in without being almost knocked down by a couple of Dachshunds!

By Cricket from NC

I love this idea because I have 3 dogs that just won't quit when someone knocks at the door. And heaven forbid if I'm having any work done at the house by contractors! I will try this :) Keep your fingers crossed.