Growing New Veggies From Discarded Roots

Category Vegetables
Certain vegetables will produce new shoots when properly prepared. This is a guide about growing new veggies from discarded roots.

I love having a never-ending green onion garden, especially on the cheap. I recently got a huge bag of green onions at the shop for 50 cents. Some of them were starting to wilt at the tips, hence finding them on the clearance rack. I used the dark green parts in some recipes, and soaked the roots in some water overnight. I then planted them in some soil and watered them. After two days, the green parts sprouted out the middle. Just snip off the greens and eat them. They will grow back quickly. You can plant them directly in your garden, in a container outside, or in a small box on a window sill. They love places with good light. Enjoy!

Double or triple your return on scallions or green onions. Save about two inches of the stalks near the root and stick them into a cup filled up to about an inch with water. They'll regrow for easy, free, and deliciously fresh new scallions ready for cutting right at your kitchen window. You don't even need soil for regrowth, but replanting them into a pot or the ground is also an option.

By Linda from Seattle, WA

I would like to know if what I read works. I read that on the little onions, the ones with long green stalks, if you save the cut bottoms with the roots and place them in water that they will grow and you will have an ever ready supply of onions. Do any of you have any experience with this?

By Robyn from TN

Answers

Hello!
I know that you can grow onion in water indoors in the same way you grow Hyacinths in water. It is very nice in the winter.You cut the green stalks to use in salad and they grow again. I don't know if you can start onion from cuttings of the rooted bottom part.

Hope this help!

I tried it!

The new growth is the part above the lid of the jar!