WoodworkingCrafts

Making Kitchen Table from Recycled Items

I'm interesting in making a table for a my kitchen table in a more frugal way. I'm wondering if there are ways I can use some parts from other furniture and other items to make one. Any links, tips, suggestions you know of?

Thanks

By ChildGoddess from Kenora, Ontario, Canada

I love projects like this: I have made so many things the 'creative way'...

Top and legs can be made anyway you want; probably need a couple of pieces of hardware to put it all together and you don't want to skimp there. You want sturdy connectors [will vary depending on what you used].

As you might guess, it may take you a little time to figure out what to use. But meditate on it a lot and you will find just what you need, I promise you. Drive or walk around your neighborhood on trash day, on garage sale days. Go to your local landfill, recycling center, old house/lumber recycling businesses.

Start
asking around. Go to unfinished furniture store, and look under the tables to see how they are held together because you will be doing the same thing; go to parts department of hardware stores where you can find wooden legs, etc. Look in Craigslist under free, and drive by anyplace that sounds promising, sometimes the stuff is just location listed and people are free to drive by. Look and imagine, and it will come together.

If you paint the table be sure to paint any raw wood on the underside as well so there is less chance of wood warping over time.

Great fun, and good luck.