DishesCleaning

Cleaning Mold from Teflon Pots

I had a sink full of dirty pots and pans when I got called out of state for an emergency. I filled the sink with bleach water and left, planning on being back in a timely fashion. Things went crazy and I ended up being away from home for three weeks.

I came home to the same sink full of pots and pans with a lovely little addition, mold. Now I'm on the brink of throwing out my entire collection of pots and pans. Is there any way to clean these so that they are safe to use or should I just toss them? They are Teflon pots and pans.

By aculig from OH

Anonymous

It seems to me that as long as you scrub them well and wash with soap and hot water a couple of times that they should be fine. If you want to be really, really safe also fill each one as much as possible with water and vinegar, place on the stove and bring the water to boiling for awhile.

I don't think you need to throw them out. Wash them well in hot water and dish soap. A little bleach in the water or in the rinse water wouldn't hurt, as bleach kills mold. If you have a dishwasher, I would just run them through a cycle, but if you don't, washing in your regular way should be just fine. Mold is not going to have penetrated the teflon or metal pan. It has just grown on the damp surface.

I wouldn't add bleach to the dishwashing water because it might cause a chemical reaction with some dishwashing liquids. After you wash them, let them soak for 30 to 60 minutes in bleach (about 1/4 cup) to a sinkful of water. If you need some more assurance, put them in the sun for a day.