BusinessBusiness and Legal

Ideas for Expanding a Cleaning Business

My name is Xolisiwe and I am working for a cleaning service. Now I have to come up with ideas to expand the business. Any suggestions?

By Xolisiwe from South Africa, Durban

What does your business currently do?

You could add organizing a room to the business.

If you are only cleaning houses, expand to commercial cleaning and do offices at night. Or perhaps have your company offer to do green cleaning, meaning using only natural products without chemical additives, then advertise that. Especially helpful for people with allergies or sensitivities. Also, you may want to try to do cleaning after parties or events. Good luck.

If you only need to increase the number of residential customers, I would say offer a "new customer discount." You can also suggest your current clients recommend you to their friends.

If you want to add new services, many people want "deep cleaning." That is, "Spring cleaning" of a sort: wiping down walls, scrubbing carpets, shredding old documents, things like that. Think of what heavy cleaning you do at your own home once or twice a year. This approach would also work as a post-event cleaning service. Most cleaning services wouldn't offer this, to my knowledge.

Someone else here suggested you begin offering business cleaning. Offices aren't the only places that may be willing to pay someone else to do their cleaning. Ask your local schools, preschools and child care businesses. Often, the staff does some light cleaning, but may want help with heavier cleaning like I have described.