GerbilsPets

Gerbils In The Same Cage

Category Gerbils

I just lost my male gerbil. Can I put 2 females in the same cage?

Nick From Oregon

By Elaine (Guest Post)

yes you can if they have been raised together. If you get two gerbils that are strange to each other. Keep them in separate cages (wire) close together so they can see and smell each other, otherwise they may fight to the death. When you think they will not fight try putting them together. I have introduced new companions by this method and has worked well.

By (Guest Post)

Yeah I have two Gerbils that are girls that are doing well together but they've been together all their life

By Michelle (Guest Post)

Yes two Females can be put together in the same cage like my two gerbils. But it will help if you have them together since they are babies.

By ladonna. (Guest Post)

can you put two males in the same cage?

By Gill (Guest Post)

You have to use the split cage method to get the gerbils used to each other.
To do this, have a wire seperator in the tank or cage, make sure it is secure because they can get through the smallest gaps.

Put one gerbil in each half, change sides at least five times a day, but leave all toys and hay etc in the halves.
The smells will be familiar then. once you see them sleeping near the wire, and laying together but with the wire between them, you try them in the same cage. STAY with them. If they then cuddle up and sleep together, you will probably be able to have them in the same cage.
WARNING. Put them together ONLY when you can be with them all day so you can watch to see if there is any sign of fights or aggression. Good Luck
Gill