Recipe Ideas for Ulcerative Colitis

If you or a loved one has Ulcerative Colitis, your diet will most likely be very restricted. This page contains recipe ideas for ulcerative colitis.

My husband suffers from Ulcerative Colitis which is a constant inflamation of the bowel. His diet is so limited most of the time. No fried food, no seeds. So many things can add up to a flare up that I am half afraid to feed him. Does anyone know some good foods to feed him that may even help the condition!

Frustrated in Port Clinton OH

Answers

Best Answer

I was recently diagnosed as well. Its definitely a tough situation and everyone will respond to diets differently. I recommend you start reading a variety of books: The Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin; Sally Fallon's "Noursishing Traditions" cookbook; also there is a book called something like "Specific Carbohydrate Diet".

I've heard that raw foods are the way to go. Right now, I'm working on a very strict elimination diet which basically means I can eat veggies, fruits and chicken and some nuts... but nothing allergenic. That means, NO eggs, soy, dairy, honey, gluten etc. After 30 days, I will reintroduce some of these things and see what type of reaction I get.

I would also encourage you to visit the healthfood store and buy some supplements, Aloe, Cod Liver Oil, Peppermint pills or tea etc. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Suppers: Break out your crock-pot; the slow cooking tends to break down the fiber and connective tissues in foods to make them softer and a little more digestible; and they taste good, too! Look for recipes with green beans, rice, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and flavorful ingredients. Beef and chicken usually digest well. Avoid corn, nuts, seeds, celery (except the leaves), cabbage,and other foods with more "residue". (I think that is the old-fashioned term for insoluble fiber, or as Grandma used to say: roughage.) You may also want to avoid broccoli, brussels sprouts, and foods like that which may be gas-producing. Avoid beans, except the green ones.

Pastas are always a good bet, with less chunky sauces. Cheese raviolis, macaroni and cheese (the men seem to love the old-fashioned baked kind--which is easy to make!)

Iceberg lettuce is actually not bad! But avoid some of the other usual salad ingredients. Tomato is OK if you peel and seed it. Same with cucumber.

Breakfasts: Cream of wheat and cream of rice; rice crispies; white toast with seedless jam or jelly; puffed rice; eggs; yogurt (avoid raspberry, strawberry, blackberry--potential for seeds); cheese; smooth peanut butter may be fine--it usually is, but NOT chunky.

Desserts: Sugar wafer cookies, vanilla wafers, puddings and custards, jello, angel cakes, etc. You may want to avoid a lot of cinnamon. Rice Crispies treats go over well!

One caution about the milk products--some people develop a sensitivity or lactose intolerance, so you may want to eliminate them for a couple of weeks, then add back and see if he reacts adversely.

Peeled apples, bananas, peeled peaches, most canned fruits (but I would avoid pineapple), applesauce; jellied cranberry sauce (not whole berry--seeds!)

Lunches: Avoid heavily seasoned lunchmeats and other proccessed meats; try to avoid the preservatives, too--the Kosher lunchmeats are usually more "pure" that way. Tuna is usually OK, too. Cream cheese and jelly. Leftovers! Canned pastas and soups (again, watch the labels for corn and other trouble foods).

Truly, think more of how our grandparents ate in the forties and fifties. Simple fare; a lot of what we now see as comfort foods.

If you don't have a crock-pot, get one today! Buy the lean cuts of meat and cook them all day for moist, fall-apart meats. Fall off the bone chicken.

I agree about seeing a dietician--but be sure it is a registered dietician; "nutritionists" are unregulated in many areas, meaning anyone can hang out that shingle. One nutritionist may be the best thing going; but another may be a well-spoken quack.

Read; but many of the "diets" for IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) are not proven. Be cautious, and go with what works for your husband.

There are also support groups, great places for recipe sharing and other tips. Even if he doesn't want to go, you should. Learn what you can do to help, so you don't feel like you're going to hurt him!

Once he gets his meds straightened out, he will hopefully start feeling better and you will both be able to live and learn and move forward. It does get easier!

Best Answer

I highly recommend Breaking the Viscious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall. There is a website, and pecanbread.com offers info on the same diet (though they use the diet for the gut issues related to autism)

Old fashioned "creamy" soup (made by pureeing the veggies, not adding cream) seems the best, though its not always as satisfying, for a gastric episode.

Best Answer

I have UC and had to have the surgery to remove the lower intestine.

First, the safest, safest thing to have, despite what everyone tells you, is meat. High calories and NO fiber. I used to be almost vegetarian. Not anymore. Boiled is best, but baked or seared is fine too. You're right to stay away from fried, as grease can go through rather quickly.

My doctor told me to stick to things with less than 2g of fiber per serving.

I would also get him tested for allergies. It turns out that I'm allergic to gluten and staying away from gluten makes my life sooo much easier. If I hadn't been tested I'm sure I would be in much worse shape.

Other than that, I asked my doctor _and_ my dietician and they both said, and I quote, "Try it. You'll know if you can't have it." I'd let his taste buds (and GI tract) dictate what he eats.

Best Answer

I have this as well. I don't so much have recipes, as ideas.
Drink lots and lots of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine like the plague as they make intestines work more, you don't need that!

Dairy is a caution. Use lactose removed milk, or goats milk. They digest better. Vanilla soy milk soothes my belly. Yogurt is good as it puts "friendly" bacteria back into your body.

Avoid all fried foods. Make homemade mashed potatoes, not the junky package stuff, or fries, or potatoes fried in any way. I do well on mashed potatoes and eat a little more of them, than your other vegetables. Zucchini is good as well as carrots, turnips and sweet potatoes. A lot of the green vegetables can be a problem if it is acting up.

Best Answer

Actually, my husband loves tuna pasta salad. I got it from the Colitis Cookbook:

1 5 oz can of tuna, drained, water packed
2 cups cooked medium pasta (I use rotini)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup onions (I leave this out as my husband hates onions)
1 tbs. chopped parsley (you can soak some dried parsley if he is ultra sensitive)
2 large ripe tomato (again, I leave this out.)

Mix together ingredients and serve chilled. Goes great with Jiffy corn muffin mix. You can double or triple the recipe and it stays good for days!!! Great to have on hand for a flare up...

Hope this helps!!!!! It was a life saver for me...