Red Embroidery Thread Bled on Cross-stitch Project?

I rinsed a completed cross-stitch project in cold water and a tiny amount of Woolite. The red thread bled and a light pink stain surrounds all of the red stitching. Does anyone know how to remove the light pink stains. Thanks.

By Fran from Rainbow City, AL

I am 69 years old, and have never had any color of embroidery thread bleed onto the background fabric or onto nearby colors of thread. I never used cold water to wash anything embroidered. When I was young I did numerous pairs of pillow cases, and sets of dish towels, and they always got washed with what ever range of colors the background was. White items got washed in hot water, no matter what. T

his is the way my Mother did it, she always had the old type wringer washer and no dryer, as long as I was at home. There was always some bleach added to the water for the white load, and it never noticeably faded the colored embroidery thread.

As each load of clothes was taken out of the wringer washer a little more water would have to be added so that for the other colors of laundry the colors weren't affected by the bleach in the first load. If you are referring to cross stitch, those stitches are so close together I don't know if you can do anything.

Otherwise I would say take a cotton swab, and dip it in bleach, then kind of dab it on the areas where the red bled, just being careful no to touch any colored area. Then carefully rinse the fabric again. I don't know if this will work or not.

I also have used a Q-Tip dipped in bleach. I used it to blot the areas where the color ran. And to protect the other cross-stitched areas (so that the bleach wouldn't affect them), I held a wet sponge there.

Omg, this just happened to me! Red thread bled onto crossstitch piece. How frustrating! Glad for the suggestion of Qtip with bleach.

Tried oxy on Qtip and it faded to orange! I washed in sink again and towel dried then ironed to dry completely and it reduced the red bleed by about half.

Hi, If the cotton bud with bleach doesn't work the way you want. I'd have a look in the laundry section at your supermarket & see if you can buy a rinse that's purely for when dyes run. I don't know what it's called over in the U.S. but it is available. Good luck. Wendy

I use a product called Color Catcher made by Shout company in the washing machine. Try resoaking and adding the cloth (it catches the extra dye).

By the way...was that DMC floss? That's all I have ever used and I've never had that happen. You could also contact the manufacturer of the floss.

The COLOR CATCHER also worked well for me. The thread was from a kit and the red bled on white fabric.

I finished a counted cross stitch sampler that I started 37 years ago for my son. Now Im giving it to my grandson. It had a couple of dirty spots and was a little yellow. After watching a video about how to clean a counted cross stitch sampler, I tested some different colors of my floss by soaking in soapy water. The water came out with no color bleed. I took the risk and soaked my sampler as the video said.

Five minutes later, I noticed the water was pink!!! The red floss had bled all over my piece! The more I rinsed it the worse it got! After crying for an hour and trying white vinegar, alcohol and acetone, I tried Carbona color run remover. I mixed up a little in a cup and applied it with a Q-tip where it bled. It worked! It did take a little color out of the pink floss. But, I can live with that.

Crafts Needlework Cross StitchFebruary 28, 2010
🌻
😷
📓
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf48302009.tip.html

Cross StitchNeedlework