WallsCleaning

Removing Wallpaper Adhesive

I have removed the wall paper border, but the adhesive remained on the wall. Does anyone have a solution for removal? I have tried to sand it off, but it is time consuming and dusty. Has anyone just painted over it? It is in a bathroom. Thank you.

Dorth from Madison, WI

By Michele (Guest Post)

If it is the backing of the wallpaper...it should be fairly easy to remove.

Take a spray bottle and put some warm water in it and add about 2T of liquid fabric softener. Shake to mix. Spray on liberally and wait for a little bit. Take a scrapper and scrap it off. It should peel it off well. Then you will need to wash the area to get all of the softner and stray papers off.

Good luck, we just did my sis's new home and it went quickly. Some places had three layers of paper.

By Amellais (Guest Post)

My last house the previous owner put wallpaper border on the ceiling and I tried every commercial paper remover out there to get it off. A friend's mother in law suggested warm water mixed with vinegar in a spray bottle.

I mixed it about 25% vinegar and it really worked! It smells like you have been making pickles, but the border and all the adhesive came off without damaging the ceiling or walls.

By Maxine H. (Guest Post)

Thank you for the great tip about vinegar. Have tried sugar soap with no success and immense scrapping until I was nearly in tears. Then googled the problem and found using vinegar would be helpful, tried it neat and with a little scrapping it came off. The bedroom smell awful and I'm happy now but hubby isn't because he has nothing to put on his chips. hehe :D