Dog Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

How do I remove dog urine odor from hardwood floors?

By LA from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

Hydrogen peroxide will not darken the unfinished wood, it actually lightens stained wood. Soak paper towels with peroxide and set over soiled area. You'll be shocked to see the yellow urine absorbed, gross!

Anonymous

Are you sure it's not the peroxide absorbing the surface finish up through the towel, not urine!

Here is a recipe that worked for me to get cat urine out of carpet:

1 qt of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
1/4 cup of baking soda
1 tsp of dish soap

You must drench the area with this solution, let sit for 15 min then wash out completely. Really rinse it good. You cannot store this solution.

Before I found this recipe I tried Bleach, ammonia, vinegar, dish soap, just for cats advanced formula from Natures miracle and plain hydrogen peroxide (3%)

Wet the pissed on area with a water and oxiclean solution [2 parts water 1 part oxiclean]
Sprinkle oxiclean on now wet area
Let sit for 1 hour
Dry area
Spray fribrezz on area of carpet and in the room of the carpet [use bottled not canned aerosol]
A good enzyme cleaner is key for cat urine. Youll have to do a few treatments and make sure you get down to the matting to eliminate it. Natures Miracle and Urine Off both work OK, but for tough jobs, my favorite is Anti Icky Poo.

Best Enzyme Cleaner for Cat and Dog Urine Reviews By Getcleaningdone

Anyone use a floor steamer?

We have pre-finished hardwood. That means there's unsealed space between every board that pee can seep into almost immediately even though a sheet of paper won't fit in the cracks.

So when past pups have peed on the floor I've taken our floor steamer and put a bit of Woolite OxY Pet Cleaner, sometimes a bit of vinegar and quickly gone over the hardwood. I never mix two cleaners, and never add more than a bit of any cleaner to the water (less than 5% or so of the mix). Also I don't stop at any spot for more than a second or two to prevent hurting the wood or softening the finish. (I even open up a window because I don't want to breath whatever concoction I'm creating via steam.)

I'm not entirely sure if this has been effective buy my thinking was that the steam would inject itself further into any spaces between the floor boards.

We haven't had odor problems that we know of but our latest little pup is returning to the scene of the crime and repeat peeing. She may be smelling her past urination. So I'm hand spraying enough of that Woolite enzyme cleaner on the boards to let a bit soak into the spaces. I'm only leaving it there for 30 seconds at the most before wiping up though. I don't want blacken hardwood.

I'm looking forward to the day we have our floors refinished and hopefully all the fine seams sealed.

I've never mixed a bit of peroxide in the steamer water. Would that be safe?