Are Contracts Signed Before Declaration of Mental Incompetence Valid?

If a person is declared mentally incompetent, can a contract they signed before that date of declaration of incompetence still be valid?

Holly from Richardson, TX

By Jennifer (Guest Post)

This is a legal question that only a lawyer can answer, unfortunately, because a valid argument could be made both ways. Not knowing all the particulars, I would hazard a guess that anything signed BEFORE the date would be considered valid. I would hope that who ever you are dealing with would be understanding and realize that the incompetence was present at the time of signature. Best of luck with this dilemma, and I hope that you are able to work thru this legal maze. Try talking with Legal Aid if possible.

Hi, Holly, Jennifer is right, you could try Legal Aid if there's one nearby, or try this website: http://findlaw.com . It's run by lawyers and they helped me with a legal thing I was wondering about, basically they told me which site to go to look it up and that 2nd site answered my question. Good luck!

Thank you for your help and suggestions.