Add to GuideAsk a Question

Social Security Survivor Benefits and Food Stamps

The rules and regulations that apply to Social Security benefits may be confusing to some recipients, particularly regarding how a change of circumstance can affect them. The best way to get a valid answer is to contact the Social Security office near you. This is a guide about Social Security surviver benefits and food stamps.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

By 0 found this helpful
August 4, 2017

I am a widower. Can I file for food stamps for myself, daughter, son, and son's mother (we not married)? I'm living with my son's mom (my ex). My son is 16 and my daughter is 10. I know I can file for me and the kids with no problem, but I don't know if I can add my ex to the food stamps application. Would I be able to do that? Would I lose my surviver benefits as a widower?


August 5, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

That would be up to your social/case worker to decide. They will look at assets, income and number of vehicles of everyone living in the home. Also, are you listed jointly on any banking records or vehicles.

When I directed a crisis center, we had several cases where one roommate got assistance and another did not.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 4, 20170 found this helpful

Food stamp qualification goes by household. Maybe she can qualify on her own.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 4, 20170 found this helpful

This issue needs to be addressed with your social worker. If you have any changes in your household or living status you need to report this to your social worker.


They will be the ones that can tell you if it is possible to add your ex-wife to your benefits.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 4, 20170 found this helpful

I'm assuming you are male? Are you working? Is anyone working? (Whose house are you living in?) Does your total income fall in low income bracket?

Let's see if I have sorted this out correctly.. You were at one time in the past married to your 16 year son's mother, divorced, married someone else and had a daughter (10 years old) and this person died and you are receiving survivor benefits for your daughter (and maybe still a check for yourself because your daughter is still young and if you did include your son(?) he would also be receiving benefits).

You are now living with your ex from years ago (your son's mom) and you plan to apply for food stamps for you, your son and your daughter (which you feel will be aromatically approved) and wonder if you can include your ex (who you three are living with) when you apply for food stamps.


You are also asking if you could lose your survivor's benefits if you added your ex to your application. How did you plan to list your ex on the application? As your girlfriend, your ex (but your son's mom) or as your wife?

You do not say how long your daughter's mother has been dead (or how old you are) but it kinda looks like you do not plan to remarry because you might lose your survivor's benefits. The children are the one or both who are receiving benefits and the money is supposed to be used for their support and yearly reports are supposed to be completed showing how that money was spent. Social Security has the right to ask for those records at any time.

Be very careful when applying for food stamps as this is a government agency and there can be very serious problems if the complete truth is not disclosed. Whether you claim your ex on the application or not is not the real issue as legally you have to disclose everyone living in the house with you. To not claim her as being in the house could cause you major problems if Food Stamps office finds out so don't try to hide this fact. The food stamps office has nothing to do with your children's survivor benefits but they will check with SS to see if you are reporting your income correctly.


Anything to do with your benefit checks will be handled through the Social Security Agency and that is where you should ask any questions about what could cause you to lose those benefits. The children will not lose their benefits until they reach 18 - 19 or graduate from high school (that is as long as they are attending school full time).
Complete your food stamp application truthfully and there should be no problems later.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...
Related Content
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceAugust 30, 2018
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/01/05 09:23:12 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!