Social Security Survivor Benefits and Food Stamps

The rules and regulations that apply to Social Security benefits may be confusing to some recipients, particularly regarding how a change of circumstance can affect them. The best way to get a valid answer is to contact the Social Security office near you. This is a page about Social Security surviver benefits and food stamps.

I am a widower. Can I file for food stamps for myself, daughter, son, and son's mother (we not married)? I'm living with my son's mom (my ex). My son is 16 and my daughter is 10. I know I can file for me and the kids with no problem, but I don't know if I can add my ex to the food stamps application. Would I be able to do that? Would I lose my surviver benefits as a widower?

Answers

Best Answer

That would be up to your social/case worker to decide. They will look at assets, income and number of vehicles of everyone living in the home. Also, are you listed jointly on any banking records or vehicles.

When I directed a crisis center, we had several cases where one roommate got assistance and another did not.

My 19 year old son's father died a couple years ago. He is currently receiving survivor benefits because he is still in high school.

Should his benefits be counted as household income when qualifying for food stamps?

Answers

It seems that all sources of income from social security count towards household income for the SNAP program. I would double-check if I were you.

Hi,

Yes, it does. Survivor benefits are counted by social security as income. Here is the number to contact, if you have any questions about what income is counted.

Social Security Customer Service

1 (800) 772-1213

Have a blessed day!

---Robyn

I am a retired eligibility worker. Yes, the money is counted, however that does not necessarily mean that you don't qualify. Food Stamp budgeting is complicated. Many things are considered, such as the age of household members, the source, earned or unearned, of the income, shelter costs relative to income, medical expenses of the elderly or disabled members.

It's too complicated to explain here entirely. I would urge you to apply, since it's free and you may very well be able to benefit.

Please ask this question at your local Family Services office as some states use different criteria for finding someone eligible for food stamps.

This is not a site that can supply you with a determination of this type of benefit as we do not have the information needed to make such a determination.

If you have applied for food stamps and you were turned down or given lower benefits then you can appeal that decision.

If you need assistance you can contact your congressman (find them with your zip code) and ask for their help. Try to visit their office in person and be sure to take any correspondence you have received in regards to this problem.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceAugust 30, 2018
🎂
📓
🌻