Survivor Benefits and Child Support

Category Child Support
This is a page about survivor benefits and child support. All of the rules and exceptions for survivor benefits and child support can be quite confusing. It is best to go directly to the Social Security office for assistant with your questions and concerns.

I have a 17 old son who is in foster care. He will turn 19 on 9/9/20. He receives survivor benefits from his deceased father. I am the non custodial parent now being ordered to pay child support. I was the payee for the Social Security survivor benefits and now the Department of Social Services is the payee. The total survivor benefits and child support payments are more than $3000. Can I (non custodial obligor) off set child support obligation using Social Security death benefits?

Answers

Best Answer

You will need to seek legal advice on this one. No matter what any of us say here we don't work for social services and we don't work for SSI. Furthermore, none of us are lawyers. I would seek advice from a legal aid if you can't afford a lawyer. It seems awful expensive for you to have to pay out $3000 a month unless you have a really good income. I can see you contributing to your son's care and upbringing if he is no longer living in your care.

My grandbabies are getting their decreased mom's Social Security death benefits and their father is paying child support. We are trying to get an increase in the child support because now he has a job.

Can the survivor benefits that they are getting affect an increase in child support payments?

Answers

This is a question for social security. Please make an appointment with them and bring documentation.

Business and Legal Legal Child SupportMay 3, 2018
🎃
🎂
🌻