Teen Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

Children are typically eligible for Social Security survivor benefits while they are in school. A call to the Social Security office is one way to confirm if you meet the requirements. This is a guide about teen eligibility for Social Security survivor benefits.

I'm 17 and my mother has been collecting my benefits from my dad and doesn't buy me anything. She pays my phone bill and that's all. My question is if I would order stuff I need on-line for myself and my kids will I get in trouble?

Answers

Best Answer

The money you get is for your needs. Needs include rent, clothing and food. Who is paying for this? Your mother may be using the money for that. If she is truly not meeting your needs, you could notify Social Security. She could be called in and be required to submit receipts for items she purchased on your behalf. I would not order online yet until this is settled.

Best Answer

You say you are 17? Are you still in high school? Are you married? Who supports your kids? Who do you live with and who pays the bills (rent, electric, heat, water, garbage, etc.)? Who supplies food for you and your kids? Do you have a car? If so, who pays for that expense? There are many everyday expenses (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc) that most people tend to forget - and all cost money.

These are some of the kind of questions you may have to answer if you make a claim that your mother is not giving you any money.
You, your kids and your mother may receive some of these things as other benefits from the government (rent subsidy, food stamps, Medicaid - free doctor, dental & medicine, free phone?, etc) and some of these may continue after your "benefits" stop.
We are assuming you mean Social Security benefits from a deceased parent (but that may not be the case - support?). If you are talking about Social Security benefits then you or your mother will only receive benefits until you reach 18 (sometimes before), graduate, or up to 19 years old if you are still in high school full time.
Ordering things on line usually requires a credit card and someone will be responsible for repaying the money spent. Do you have a credit card?
Please, talk things over with your mother and maybe together you can resolve some of your problems without, perhaps, causing more problems.

Best Answer

I can sympathize with how you feel but have you talked to your grandmother about this problem? How does your grandmother feel about all of this? Are you saying that your grandmother fully supports you and your children? Again, I have to ask a question - where does the children's father come into paying support for you and his children? I'm only asking because if this is Social Security benefits then all money will stop when you reach 18 years old (unless you are still in high school full time) and who will support you after this?

Does your grandmother have sufficient income to take care of you or should you be looking for a job or asking for support from your children's father?
I believe you have a lot of problems facing you that are much more serious than wondering about trying to buy something on line.
Try to discuss this with your grandmother and maybe the two of you can plan what may help you in the future when there are no SS benefits available (for you, your children or your mother).

I have an 18 year old nephew in-law whose father passed away 3 yrs ago. His biological step brother and sister-in-law went to court and my sister received guardianship. My brother-in-law was very sick and could not retain guardianship. He has passed on. The nephew is now 18, but still has a year of high school left. Funds where cut off in June. Social Security says they can start back when proof is shown he is enrolled in school for 13 weeks.

The check comes in his name and it's deposited in his account. Then certain bills for his personal care are taken from his check. Then the remaining funds are left for him. He is now trying to move out of the house because he is 18 years old and thinks the check should go to him. Would this be legal in the state of Texas? The check is for the guardian to take care of him. Correct?

Answers

He can get the checks if he is in high school up to 19. Usually his guardian gets the check. Social Security makes the decisions who gets the check

Questions about Social Security benefits are difficult to answer because every case is different and of course, we do not know all of the facts about the situation.

• Social Security benefits are federal government and are generally the same everywhere.
  • The money should stay in the hands of the guardian for his overall care and expenses. If the funds are being handled as you state then it would seem everything is being done according to SS rules.
  • Ad

• Does the nephew feel that he is not receiving as much "spending" money as he should?
  • Is he having problems at home that he wishes to move away or does this just appear that he thinks he can live the way he wants if he is getting the full check?
  • Just asking questions that may be asked should he go to SSA to request the check be sent to him alone and no oversee by his guardian.
  • To receive full control of the check he will probably have to prove that he can support himself if he moves away from home. Is this check an amount that he would be able to do that? Does he plan to move in with another relative or a friend so he would not have to pay a full rent payment?
  • Can he show that he will be able to go to school full time until he graduates? Does he realize the check will stop if he does not attend school full time?
  • Does he know that he will not receive any benefits after he graduates but his living expenses will not stop and he will have to have a way to pay these expenses?
  • Ad

• I know that someone has probably already tried to explain these things to him but sometimes children will not listen to their relatives (or anyone sometimes).
  • I would suggest the guardian go to the school and talk with his counselor about this situation and ask them for help in explaining all of this to him.
  • They can also go to the SS office and have it put on record what he is wanting to do so it will already be in the system should he talk with them.

All matters dealing with Social Security benefits should be discussed with a representative at your local office so everyone knows they have the right answer for their particular case.

Social Security is very complex. I would contact the Social Security administration directly to get any questions answered, as they are the experts. Their contact info is at this link:

www.ssa.gov/.../phone.html

They are the experts and can give you the true information for your situation. If you have trouble understanding what they are telling you or need further assistance, I recommend asking your state senator help. I found mine by googling my town and the words state senator. His staff was very helpful and has helped us resolve several situations. The services are free (well...paid for by tax money).

Any time there is money and the government invoked, I go right to the experts!!

Good luck and blessings to your family!

I'm about to turn 18 and I'm still in high school as a full time student. Social Security is going to start sending my money to me instead of to my mom. Is she able to have my money stopped completely if she wanted to even though it's not going to her anymore?

Answers

I am assuming these are survivor benefits. You are entitled to them as long as you are in high school, up to age 19. Your mother, if she saw you were not spending the money on your needs, could go to social security and request that it be sent to her. Social Security has the right for an accounting on how the money was spent.

It is important for you to understand how your benefit works and talk to the experts at the Social Security Administration to get the answers you need.

Once you have the answers, you and your mom and come to an agreement on the best way to manage your money. By taking the lead and making the call (or going to their website) you will be showing your mom you are responsible, which she (hopefully) will appreciate and will make for adult discussion.

The contact info and a PDF about benefits are below:

www.ssa.gov/.../

www.ssa.gov/.../EN-05-10085.pdf

Wishing you all the best!!

Since we do not know the reason the benefit was changed to you instead of to your parent/guardian we cannot answer your question. You should be asking your questions at your local SSA in the same manner you requested the benefit be changed to your name.

• If you are still living with your mother then there is a strong possibility she could have the benefit check changed from your name if she believes that you are not using the money for what it was intended.
  • The money is intended for your care and that means things like food, housing (a place to live), clothing, school supplies/lunch money, anything that you need should be paid for out of that money. It is not supposed to be used for frivolous things and so you and your mother (or whoever you are living with) should be talking about how for you to pay your share of the living expenses.
  • If your mother files a case with SS you could be forced to account for the money you receive (prove whatever you spent the money on).
  • Do not let something like this cause big problems in your family. Talk this over with your guardian and do the responsible thing - use the money for its intended use. You can save some of this money if your living expenses are less than your benefit check.
  • You should be able to receive benefits until you graduate (full time student) or reach 19 years old - whichever event occurs first.

My niece is 17, going on 18, in 2019. She will be a senior so I believe she qualifies for survivors' benefits until the end of high school. My brother died on 7/17, she lived with her mother who was not a next of kin for my brother or spouse/relationship. She has 6 kids of her own. My niece now lives with me and the first check she saw is for July. Her mother never gave her or set aside any money for the last year. How much control does she have over the money, and does she get survivors benefit just for being the parent? I am trying to figure out where all this money went.

Answers

The girls mother got that check to cover expenses for her. If you believe there has been wrongdoing, contact Social Security. The mother will have to show proof that the money went for the girls expenses

Sorry to hear you are having so many challenges. Will send up lots of prayers for you and your family!

Talk to the Social Security Administration and ask for help. Their contact info is here:

www.ssa.gov/.../

If they are not helpful or you need more help cutting through the red tape or figuring out what they are telling you, talk to your state senator. Go in person! If yours is like mine, they are amazing!

I found ours by putting in Google search my town name and the phrase state senator. His name came right up. Their services are free paid for by our tax dollars, so may this can help you!!

If you need low cost Legal Aid, since this situation sounds quite complicated, the State Senator can help with that also. Never pick a legal aid company from a Google search as many are not what they seem.

Good luck!

Your question is a little confusing but basically you just want to know where all the money from 7/17 until 7/18 went?

• Does that mean that your niece is now getting the benefit check in her name? Or is the check still going to the mother and she is giving it to your niece?
  • If your niece (how long has she lived with you?) is living with you and going to school, you and she can apply to the SSA to have the check sent to you since you will be paying for her living expenses (that is what the benefit check is for) until she graduates.
  • The check is not intended for your niece to spend or use as she sees fit but was given to the mother to cover the cost of her care.
  • The SSA can explain to you what this benefit check is to be used for and then you can decide if you wish to take your case any further.
  • How does your niece feel about all of this? Is she under the mistaken idea that the check was supposed to be given to her? This is many times the case and since this is not true it would probably be best if you and your niece went to the SSA in person so you will both be able to decide if you think something/money was mishandled.
  • As a general rule, a minor is only awarded a benefit check if they are living outside of the guardian home and providing living expenses for themselves.
  • You are correct in that benefits will stop when your niece graduates.
  • No one can give the information you are seeking other than the SSA.
  • You will not be able to obtain this information (from SSA) unless you have been awarded legal guardianship of your niece so she will have to be the one doing the inquiry with her SS number.