Teen Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits?

Filling out Social Security Benefits Form
Children are typically eligible for Social Security survivor benefits while they are in school. A call to the Social Security office is one way to confirm if you meet the requirements. This is a page about teen eligibility for Social Security survivor benefits.

11 Questions

I'm 17 and my mother has been collecting my benefits from my dad and doesn't buy me anything. She pays my phone bill and that's all.

My question is if I would order stuff I need on-line for myself and my kids will I get in trouble?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
Best Answer

The money you get is for your needs. Needs include rent, clothing and food. Who is paying for this? Your mother may be using the money for that. If she is truly not meeting your needs, you could notify Social Security.

She could be called in and be required to submit receipts for items she purchased on your behalf. I would not order online yet until this is settled.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

You say you are 17? Are you still in high school? Are you married? Who supports your kids? Who do you live with and who pays the bills (rent, electric, heat, water, garbage, etc.)? Who supplies food for you and your kids? Do you have a car? If so, who pays for that expense? There are many everyday expenses (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc) that most people tend to forget - and all cost money.

These are some of the kind of questions you may have to answer if you make a claim that your mother is not giving you any money.
You, your kids and your mother may receive some of these things as other benefits from the government (rent subsidy, food stamps, Medicaid - free doctor, dental & medicine, free phone?, etc) and some of these may continue after your "benefits" stop.
We are assuming you mean Social Security benefits from a deceased parent (but that may not be the case - support?). If you are talking about Social Security benefits then you or your mother will only receive benefits until you reach 18 (sometimes before), graduate, or up to 19 years old if you are still in high school full time.
Ordering things on line usually requires a credit card and someone will be responsible for repaying the money spent. Do you have a credit card?

Please, talk things over with your mother and maybe together you can resolve some of your problems without, perhaps, causing more problems.

Best Answer

I can sympathize with how you feel but have you talked to your grandmother about this problem? How does your grandmother feel about all of this? Are you saying that your grandmother fully supports you and your children? Again, I have to ask a question - where does the children's father come into paying support for you and his children? I'm only asking because if this is Social Security benefits then all money will stop when you reach 18 years old (unless you are still in high school full time) and who will support you after this?

Does your grandmother have sufficient income to take care of you or should you be looking for a job or asking for support from your children's father?
I believe you have a lot of problems facing you that are much more serious than wondering about trying to buy something on line.
Try to discuss this with your grandmother and maybe the two of you can plan what may help you in the future when there are no SS benefits available (for you, your children or your mother).

Answer this Question

My son has been receiving survivor benefits from his dad who passed in September 2014. However he just turned 19, and is a full time student, and suffers from PTSD, has low self esteem due to being overweight, and was born with club feet. Due to COVID 19, he is unable to get a job and is due to have surgery in the next 2 months.

Why wouldn't he be eligible to still receive his benefits until he graduates in 2021? We were told at the time we applied that as long as he is a full time student he would continue his benefits until the age of 22. If the law has changed wouldn't he be grandfathered in? I need help!

Answers

Best Answer

There were some changes made but I do not believe the age definition was changed.
First - he would have to be a full time high school student to qualify till he graduates even up to the age of 19.

However, if he has been diagnosed with a disability then you should discuss this with Social Security and see if different provisions can be made.
Survivor benefits can complicated as each case can be a little different but the COVID 19 will not make a difference in this case.
You will have to go to the SSA and find out what they tell you about his benefits (he will probably have to go with you unless checks are made out to you).
If you do not agree with what SS tells you then you can appeal and if you need an attorney to speak for you, you can contact your local Family Services office and they may be able to help you find an attorney. Try to get something in writing showing what they tell you or if they send you a letter then take this to the attorney.

I believe his benefits are over unless you can receive more due to a disability.

Answer this Question

My pawpaw raised me and adopted me in 2016; he passed away 2016. The survivor's benefit Social Security check goes to my stepmom. I'm 17 now and in high school, the 11 grade. I make good grades and I work full time because my stepmom does not get me clothes, snacks, car, car insurance, and gas. The only thing she does is pay rent on the house, lights, and food, but I have got to get cakes or candy with my working check. I'm having trouble keeping up with school and a full time job to make ends meet. She has nothing saved for me.

I read I can get it put in my name now, but what kind of proof do I need to show you? Because she is smart and I want to make sure I have exactly what I need or if I don't they will be mean to me at home with me reporting this so I want everything I need. What proof do you need?

I'm 17. I was legally told I could leave my residence. I was saying at my parents' house.I'm now on my own. I'm not going to be 18 till March, but my benefits are in my name and going to my bank card that's also just in my name.

Would I receive them since I changed my address to the one that I'm currently living at?

So my cousin has been getting Social Security survivor benefits ever since his father passed away. He now lives in a really rough situation that he is trying to remove himself from.

He is in the process of emancipating himself. If the judge rules in his favor will he lose those benefits? He is 16 y/o and is still a full time high school student.

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

He should be able to receive benefits up to the age of 19 as long as he is still in high school full time

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Your cousin is going to need a strong support system and have questions answered by people from the sources, not crowd sourcing.

The Social Security Administration number is at the bottom of this link. He or his lawyer needs to call them:

www.ssa.gov/.../ifyou.html

If he needs legal aide, talk to your state senator and have him or her give you a list of legitimate legal aide services ASAP. Never find legal aide from the internet as most are scams.

Does the school your cousin go to have a guidance counselor he can have on his side?

Sending up prayers for him to get his situation resolved and with the best support system. Post back how things are going.

My grandson received benefits after his mother's passing. He is now 18 and graduated from high school at the end of May. Will he get final check in June?

My daughter is 16 1/2 and her mom just passed away a week ago. She is staying at house with her mom's fiancé. I am the father he is not, she wants to stay there rather than move in with me.

Is she able to get Social Security benefits that her mom was getting? or survivor benefits? Can she also get Medicaid through Social Security? She wants to be emancipated as well.

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

These are questions for social security. If her mother worked long enough and made enough she would be eligible for survivor benefits.

I would consult a lawyer about her emancipation and where she should be living. If you cant afford a lawyer contact the Legal Aid Society.

I have an 18 year old nephew in-law whose father passed away 3 yrs ago. His biological step brother and sister-in-law went to court and my sister received guardianship. My brother-in-law was very sick and could not retain guardianship. He has passed on. The nephew is now 18, but still has a year of high school left. Funds where cut off in June. Social Security says they can start back when proof is shown he is enrolled in school for 13 weeks.

The check comes in his name and it's deposited in his account. Then certain bills for his personal care are taken from his check. Then the remaining funds are left for him. He is now trying to move out of the house because he is 18 years old and thinks the check should go to him. Would this be legal in the state of Texas? The check is for the guardian to take care of him. Correct?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

He can get the checks if he is in high school up to 19. Usually his guardian gets the check. Social Security makes the decisions who gets the check

I'm about to turn 18 and I'm still in high school as a full time student. Social Security is going to start sending my money to me instead of to my mom.

Is she able to have my money stopped completely if she wanted to even though it's not going to her anymore?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

I am assuming these are survivor benefits. You are entitled to them as long as you are in high school, up to age 19. Your mother, if she saw you were not spending the money on your needs, could go to social security and request that it be sent to her. Social Security has the right for an accounting on how the money was spent.

It is important for you to understand how your benefit works and talk to the experts at the Social Security Administration to get the answers you need.

Once you have the answers, you and your mom and come to an agreement on the best way to manage your money. By taking the lead and making the call (or going to their website) you will be showing your mom you are responsible, which she (hopefully) will appreciate and will make for adult discussion.

The contact info and a PDF about benefits are below:

www.ssa.gov/.../

www.ssa.gov/.../EN-05-10085.pdf

Wishing you all the best!!

My niece is 17, going on 18, in 2019. She will be a senior so I believe she qualifies for survivors' benefits until the end of high school. My brother died on 7/17, she lived with her mother who was not a next of kin for my brother or spouse/relationship. She has 6 kids of her own. My niece now lives with me and the first check she saw is for July.

Her mother never gave her or set aside any money for the last year. How much control does she have over the money, and does she get survivors benefit just for being the parent? I am trying to figure out where all this money went.

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

The girls mother got that check to cover expenses for her. If you believe there has been wrongdoing, contact Social Security. The mother will have to show proof that the money went for the girls expenses

Sorry to hear you are having so many challenges. Will send up lots of prayers for you and your family!

Talk to the Social Security Administration and ask for help. Their contact info is here:

www.ssa.gov/.../

If they are not helpful or you need more help cutting through the red tape or figuring out what they are telling you, talk to your state senator. Go in person! If yours is like mine, they are amazing!

I found ours by putting in Google search my town name and the phrase state senator. His name came right up. Their services are free paid for by our tax dollars, so may this can help you!!

If you need low cost Legal Aid, since this situation sounds quite complicated, the State Senator can help with that also. Never pick a legal aid company from a Google search as many are not what they seem.

Good luck!

Your question is a little confusing but basically you just want to know where all the money from 7/17 until 7/18 went?

• Does that mean that your niece is now getting the benefit check in her name? Or is the check still going to the mother and she is giving it to your niece?
  • If your niece (how long has she lived with you?) is living with you and going to school, you and she can apply to the SSA to have the check sent to you since you will be paying for her living expenses (that is what the benefit check is for) until she graduates.
  • The check is not intended for your niece to spend or use as she sees fit but was given to the mother to cover the cost of her care.
  • The SSA can explain to you what this benefit check is to be used for and then you can decide if you wish to take your case any further.
  • How does your niece feel about all of this? Is she under the mistaken idea that the check was supposed to be given to her? This is many times the case and since this is not true it would probably be best if you and your niece went to the SSA in person so you will both be able to decide if you think something/money was mishandled.
  • As a general rule, a minor is only awarded a benefit check if they are living outside of the guardian home and providing living expenses for themselves.
  • You are correct in that benefits will stop when your niece graduates.
  • No one can give the information you are seeking other than the SSA.
  • You will not be able to obtain this information (from SSA) unless you have been awarded legal guardianship of your niece so she will have to be the one doing the inquiry with her SS number.
Answer this Question

When I fill out all the information to continue getting a survivor's check in high school, does the person from my high school that signs off that I go to school for 8 hours have to check my grades as well? Or are they just checking that I have the right amount of hours while attending school?

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 22, 2018
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Teen-Eligibility-for-Social-Security-Survivor-Benefits-1.html