General AdviceLegal

Teen Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

I'm 17 and my mother has been collecting my benefits from my dad and doesn't buy me anything. She pays my phone bill and that's all. My question is if I would order stuff I need on-line for myself and my kids will I get in trouble?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

The money you get is for your needs. Needs include rent, clothing and food. Who is paying for this? Your mother may be using the money for that. If she is truly not meeting your needs, you could notify Social Security. She could be called in and be required to submit receipts for items she purchased on your behalf. I would not order online yet until this is settled.

Does she pay your share of the food? rent or mortgage? insurance, car, car insurance? internet bill? water and sewer and lights? You said you have kids? Who buys their diapers? She may be paying a lot more than you think she is.

No , she actually left me with my childrens grandmother and does not pay my rent buy me clothes nor does she pay for my food i have a job and dont feel its right for her to collect if she is not using it for right reasons ... she doesnt not give me anything and is using my money for drugs and to support herself and boyfriend ...

If that is the case, then you need to go to the social security office,

You say you are 17? Are you still in high school? Are you married? Who supports your kids? Who do you live with and who pays the bills (rent, electric, heat, water, garbage, etc.)? Who supplies food for you and your kids? Do you have a car? If so, who pays for that expense? There are many everyday expenses (clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc) that most people tend to forget - and all cost money.

These are some of the kind of questions you may have to answer if you make a claim that your mother is not giving you any money.
You, your kids and your mother may receive some of these things as other benefits from the government (rent subsidy, food stamps, Medicaid - free doctor, dental & medicine, free phone?, etc) and some of these may continue after your "benefits" stop.
We are assuming you mean Social Security benefits from a deceased parent (but that may not be the case - support?). If you are talking about Social Security benefits then you or your mother will only receive benefits until you reach 18 (sometimes before), graduate, or up to 19 years old if you are still in high school full time.
Ordering things on line usually requires a credit card and someone will be responsible for repaying the money spent. Do you have a credit card?

Please, talk things over with your mother and maybe together you can resolve some of your problems without, perhaps, causing more problems.

I would have a talk with your mother about what's being paid for before you start ordering things online. You should be taken care of as far as a roof over your head and food with that money. Speak to her first.

I can sympathize with how you feel but have you talked to your grandmother about this problem? How does your grandmother feel about all of this? Are you saying that your grandmother fully supports you and your children? Again, I have to ask a question - where does the children's father come into paying support for you and his children? I'm only asking because if this is Social Security benefits then all money will stop when you reach 18 years old (unless you are still in high school full time) and who will support you after this? Does your grandmother have sufficient income to take care of you or should you be looking for a job or asking for support from your children's father?

I believe you have a lot of problems facing you that are much more serious than wondering about trying to buy something on line.
Try to discuss this with your grandmother and maybe the two of you can plan what may help you in the future when there are no SS benefits available (for you, your children or your mother).

I do have a job aswell as their father