Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

I'm about to turn 18 and I'm still in high school as a full time student. Social Security is going to start sending my money to me instead of to my mom. Is she able to have my money stopped completely if she wanted to even though it's not going to her anymore?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

August 14, 20180 found this helpful

I am assuming these are survivor benefits. You are entitled to them as long as you are in high school, up to age 19. Your mother, if she saw you were not spending the money on your needs, could go to social security and request that it be sent to her. Social Security has the right for an accounting on how the money was spent.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 14, 20180 found this helpful

It is important for you to understand how your benefit works and talk to the experts at the Social Security Administration to get the answers you need.

Once you have the answers, you and your mom and come to an agreement on the best way to manage your money. By taking the lead and making the call (or going to their website) you will be showing your mom you are responsible, which she (hopefully) will appreciate and will make for adult discussion.


The contact info and a PDF about benefits are below:

Wishing you all the best!!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 14, 20180 found this helpful

Since we do not know the reason the benefit was changed to you instead of to your parent/guardian we cannot answer your question. You should be asking your questions at your local SSA in the same manner you requested the benefit be changed to your name.

  • If you are still living with your mother then there is a strong possibility she could have the benefit check changed from your name if she believes that you are not using the money for what it was intended.
  • The money is intended for your care and that means things like food, housing (a place to live), clothing, school supplies/lunch money, anything that you need should be paid for out of that money.

    It is not supposed to be used for frivolous things and so you and your mother (or whoever you are living with) should be talking about how for you to pay your share of the living expenses.
  • If your mother files a case with SS you could be forced to account for the money you receive (prove whatever you spent the money on).
  • Do not let something like this cause big problems in your family. Talk this over with your guardian and do the responsible thing - use the money for its intended use. You can save some of this money if your living expenses are less than your benefit check.
  • You should be able to receive benefits until you graduate (full time student) or reach 19 years old - whichever event occurs first.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceAugust 13, 2018
Christmas Ideas!
New Years Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2018 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2018/12/11 21:18:29 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!