Survivor Benefits and Qualifying for Food Stamps?

My 19 year old son's father died a couple years ago. He is currently receiving survivor benefits because he is still in high school. Should his benefits be counted as household income when qualifying for food stamps?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
March 29, 20190 found this helpful

It seems that all sources of income from social security count towards household income for the SNAP program. I would double-check if I were you.

August 30, 20230 found this helpful

Childrens income ( even if they are working) do not get counted as income against food stamps so why would a childs survivor benefits

March 29, 20190 found this helpful


Yes, it does. Survivor benefits are counted by social security as income. Here is the number to contact, if you have any questions about what income is counted.


Social Security Customer Service

1 (800) 772-1213

Have a blessed day!


March 30, 20190 found this helpful

I am a retired eligibility worker. Yes, the money is counted, however that does not necessarily mean that you don't qualify. Food Stamp budgeting is complicated. Many things are considered, such as the age of household members, the source, earned or unearned, of the income, shelter costs relative to income, medical expenses of the elderly or disabled members. It's too complicated to explain here entirely. I would urge you to apply, since it's free and you may very well be able to benefit.


Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
March 30, 20190 found this helpful

Please ask this question at your local Family Services office as some states use different criteria for finding someone eligible for food stamps.


This is not a site that can supply you with a determination of this type of benefit as we do not have the information needed to make such a determination.

If you have applied for food stamps and you were turned down or given lower benefits then you can appeal that decision.

If you need assistance you can contact your congressman (find them with your zip code) and ask for their help. Try to visit their office in person and be sure to take any correspondence you have received in regards to this problem.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Next >︎
Business and Legal BusinessMarch 29, 2019
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-02-11 03:21:09 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.