Freezer MealsFreezing

Meals For A Freezer Swap

I am going to a freezer swap on Friday. I am looking for easy, cheap, relatively healthy meals that can be frozen, and then shared with friends. Thanks in advance!

Michelle from Texas

I have made chicken and gravy before. Than I split up bag of inexpensive eggs noodles to be cooked at dinner time since they cook in about 5 minutes. I also did the same with beef tips, mushrooms and gravy. If you go to Krogers in the mornings you can get first pick of the discounted Manager's Special meat. BBQ beef is also always a favorite.

You could make chili. Use lean hamburger and season with spices. Try not to use the mixes. They have MSG and way too much sodium.

Most soups work great! Also try pastas, like manicotti, spaghetti pie. We also like to do a chicken pot pie.

Maybe you can try gwumpki. You can make a batch and have for dinner. Then freeze the rest. You can put as many as you want in quart or gallon freezer bags.

I make frozen meals for my son all the time, he lives 4hours away and he really enjoys them. I buy these small foil containers at the local grocery store, they come with a lid, just right for 1 or 2 servings. I make him lasagna, chili, chicken meatloaf and beef meatloaf.

Red Beans and Rice works great. I always add chicken and a can of drained corn, but sometimes I use Polska Kilbasa. Stay away from anything with spuds in it, except instant mashed already mashed.

Spuds get grainy. Good luck!

I know this is late and you have already completed your swap, but there is a great book I picked up at Barnes and Noble called Fix, Freeze, Feast. Last Saturday, I made 2 full Greek Chickens, 2 pans of Lasagne, 2 pans of Manicotti, 2 pans of Tequila Lime Chicken, 2 pans of Chicken Parmesan and a pot of chili and split pea soup! The book has freezing tips, time saving techniques, shopping lists and little cards you can copy and cut out to place in the bags with cooking directions. It's been a great timesaver for me.

I found a ton of recipes on http://www.momsbudget.com for doing a bunch of different freezer meals. There is also a Yahoo Group I recommend (Freezer Friends, I think?) as well as a bunch of recipes on http://www.recipezaar.com. Don't forget you can always double your recipes for many of the things you already make, and then just freeze half.