Can I Make a Cleaner Using Spoiled or Over Ripe Oranges?

Can you make a cleaner from bad or over ripe oranges? I get a lot of these free from local grocery stores that I get bad produce from to feed my chickens and pigs, but none likes citrus. Thanks.

By Bryan from WV

Best Answer

I use peels for a variety of uses. Never the actual orange though. You can make a homemade citrus vinegar cleaner. Fill a wide mouth jar with peels and cover with vinegar. Let steep for 3-4 weeks (a month is recommended but I get a bit impatient haha) shake the mixture up from time to time. After a month has passed strain the mixture and you are left with a great all purpose cleaner. I use as a laundry booster when I wash whites, to clean floors, windows, counter tops, cut grease in the stove, clean off soap scum in the shower, etc etc. Basically you use it just like you would straight vinegar but instead of that vat of french fries odor you have an amazing light citrus scent. I also throw peels in my water crock that I keep on my wood stove. Orange, lemon, and apple peels all give the house a nice scent.

As an aside, if I cut oranges, melons, etc. in half and toss out for the chickens they will happily peck away right down to the rind. Are you cutting them for them? Maybe I just have lazy chickens.

Pigs don't eat citrus for a reason, it's bad for them. Don't even offer it to them. I think it's something in the peel.