Study TipsCollege Life

Gauge Your New Professor

Category Study Tips

When taking a course with a new professor try to gage how he will do his testing. Does he focus on classroom discussion, reading, obscure references? What will you have to know on test day? For the first test be prepared for anything. Study hard and know the material inside and out.

After the test, examine it. See where the bulk of the questions come from. Next time there's a test; focus more on his favorite testing area. As always, stay up with the rest of the class and take notes, but realize that since a major component of the test may be coming from one area, it deserves most of your attention.

Brandi M. Seals

Another help in gauging how your professors test is to ask around and find some folks who have had him/her in previous semesters and ask them. Also, ask the prof. When I used to teach college, I gave a comprehensive study guide. If students completed it and studied from it, they were prepared for the test, as the study guide was what I had in front of me as I prepared the test.

Another hint....in writing, if in doubt, use the spell check. Gauge. In college, a lot of profs will take off for misspellings.

Editor's Note: The typo has been fixed, gauge was misspelled "gage".